Seachem Purigen

Blue Ram

Looking for some feedback from people using Purigen in their filters. I'm considering adding it to a couple of my larger tanks.

I had an experience several years ago when I added Purigen to a large canister filter on a tropheus tank. I was going away on vacation and wanted to maintain good water quality while I was away. When I came back a couple weeks later, all the anubias was filled with holes and pretty much garbage. A very large plant had been in the tank for over a year and growing well and then toast. I attributed it to the Purigen. Could that be correct? Does it remove nutrients the plants rely on?

Also, a question for any serious shrimp keepers out there - what about using Purigen in a shrimp tank to maintain better water quality?

Purigen will not cause your plants to be harmed by what it does.

Its fine for planted tanks etc etc. I've been using it for years.

regarding the shrimp...yes use it with them too...with anything. If you use peat to lower your ph for crs it WILL remove the tannin ALONG with the humic acid. So you will just swing your ph. Lower your ph by another method than peat.

Edited by ckmullin

it removes organic nitrates. If you add nitrates with kno3 or seachem nitrogen..etc, it will not remove. Those nitrates are inorganic.

I don't typically dose any fertilizers - only on occasion - would you advise that if using Purigen, you should dose nitrogen to maintain plant growth?

Plug Purigen in the search field here and you'll find informative member feedback on this product. I found those threads very helpful.

I also dropped emails to Seachem and Eheim to answer specific concerns. Responses from both companies were direct and forthcoming; great ambassadors who knew their respective products (and each other's).

it removes organic nitrates. If you add nitrates with kno3 or seachem nitrogen..etc, it will not remove. Those nitrates are inorganic.

I don't typically dose any fertilizers - only on occasion - would you advise that if using Purigen, you should dose nitrogen to maintain plant growth?

Yes..but if your tank is low light with no co2 addition, very little is needed.

I wouldn't call them 'great ambassadors' of their products. The bottom line is that they want to sell you their product, period. Why do you think they changed their MSDS for Excel! For some specific questions it's like pulling teeth to get a direct response. Especially for something that might show a limitation of their products.

Aside from that as long as it's known what purigen does and does not do, there is no concerns in using on any planted tank.

Don't buy their stupid purigen etc bags...make your own. To to a fabric shop and buy half a yard of organza...don't forget to use polyester thread. Make your filter bag in any shape or form you want. It comes in handy when you use it for an odd shape inside a canister filter as I have done.

Edited by ckmullin

I wouldn't call them 'great ambassadors' of their products. The bottom line is that they want to sell you their product, period.

Being a great ambassador means fairly representing a product without being condescending, evasive or misleading to a potential customer. Demonstrating any of those qualities is short-sighted and harms a person's credibility.

Why do you think they changed their MSDS for Excel!

...to distinguish between possibility and probability. Thanks to the internet, people can read about the MSDS change, read people's opinions about the same, and decide for themselves if that discredits Seachem or their Purigen product.

For some specific questions it's like pulling teeth to get a direct response. Especially for something that might show a limitation of their products.

"I dropped emails to Seachem and Eheim to answer specific concerns. Responses from both companies were direct and forthcoming." They told me what I could and should not expect, and based on that information, I was able to make my own educated assessment. I've not been disappointed.

Edited by Fisher

I wouldn't call them 'great ambassadors' of their products. The bottom line is that they want to sell you their product, period.

Being a great ambassador means fairly representing a product without being condescending, evasive or misleading to a potential customer. Demonstrating any of those qualities is short-sighted and harms a person's credibility.

Why do you think they changed their MSDS for Excel!

...to distinguish between possibility and probability.

Thanks to the internet, people can read about the MSDS change, read people's opinions about the same, and decide for themselves if that discredits Seachem or their Purigen product.

For some specific questions it's like pulling teeth to get a direct response. Especially for something that might show a limitation of their products.

"I dropped emails to Seachem and Eheim to answer specific concerns. Responses from both companies were direct and forthcoming." They told me what I could and should not expect, and based on that information, I was able to make my own educated assessment. I've not been disappointed.

We both have opinions on this. I've stated my opinion which I stand by, you stated yours. So that's it. If you want to discuss this further give me a pm. Don't need to go back and forth in this topic.

• 1 year later...