Moving Fish Out Of Province

Hey everyone,

I might be moving to Vancouver Island and I'm sad about the thought of leaving my fish, shrimp and snails behind. I'm sure there is nooo way to safely move them, is there? I have about 100 fish, the biggest being 2 pearl gourami, various tetras and many shrimp and snails. Has anyone done this successfully? I've ordered shrimp from Van that made it here alive but there is a big difference between young shrimp and 5 inch fish. I also worry about the different water there and how it would impact the fish.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Edited by Caprichoso

I tried to move some that way awhile ago. Had them In a rubbermaid with a small air pump and the heater on in the van. I dont know if it was the stress or altitude change or maybe the water swishing, but they did not make the trip. I felt bad for even trying. But that was me. Maybe I could have tried to bag them, but bagging a few fish that were 5-6 inches didnt make sense to me at that time. Maybe another way, but seems like quite a few to transfer. Maybe bagging them and flying them there with you?

I'm not sure on your time frame but when we get in fish from South America they have been in bags for 3 days usually. Sometimes they are fish in excess of 18 inches.

Edited by JORG

Thanks for the responses. I think if I were to do this, flying would be the only option. The drive would have to be done over 2 days so I think that would be too risky. Plus, once I get there, I would have to set up my 140g (keeping the fish waiting even longer) first, then put them in. Grrr, I hate this! If I don't take them, then I have to make sure they are all going to a good home. I'm trying to decide what their best chances of survival might be. I mean really, how do you screen for good fish parents lol.

Thanks for the responses. I think if I were to do this, flying would be the only option. The drive would have to be done over 2 days so I think that would be too risky. Plus, once I get there, I would have to set up my 140g (keeping the fish waiting even longer) first, then put them in. Grrr, I hate this! If I don't take them, then I have to make sure they are all going to a good home. I'm trying to decide what their best chances of survival might be. I mean really, how do you screen for good fish parents lol.

Find them on AA :) Personally I wouldn't try to move them that far. I mean, I wouldn't risk my dogs life that way, why would I risk my fish?