Shrimp- Barebottom Or Substrate

Vallisneria

Cherries should just breed by themselves if you have males and females. I literally just added 10 shrimp to a 10g, with a little filter and added tap water. It didn't even have a heater. Within a few months I had dozens.

Just make sure you have males and females and a place where the babies can hide and feed. The males are smaller and aren't very red, usually clear with a little red streaking. The females are the big bright red ones. Also make sure there are no fish that might eat the babies. If you did all that then I'm not sure why yours didn't produce babies. I"ve kept hundreds of them over the years and never had them not breed, even in the worst conditions.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. The only difference is that I had a heater and air bubbles. I also had some snails living with them. Can the snails eat baby shrimp?

Thanks for the advice. The only difference is that I had a heater and air bubbles. I also had some snails living with them. Can the snails eat baby shrimp?

I've never had any problems with snails and shrimp together. In my shrimp tanks I've have ramshorn and pond snails, assassin snails, and sulawesi rabbit snails. Never had a problem wtih them hurting the shrimp, even the assassins.

Thanks for all the responses. Its interesting to see how everyone else keeps them.

I actually do what jason says, cover the bottom with black.

I guess with this new tank I'll test out some fine gravel again but won't go changing my other tanks that are barebottom as they seem to be doing great. I'll maybe try some of the shrimp substrates that lower ph in the future but right now I'm not keeping any shrimp that requires it.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the neo shrimps can adapt to any water parameter and for those u dont need a substrate, but for higher end shrimps that are ph sensitive then i would definitely use a substrate that will lower or raise the ph depending on the specie. I had crs/cbs tanks and i have used the Fluval Shrimp substrate and found that it lost its ph buffering ability in about a year time. Note it depends on how much tap water is being used for every water change. I am currently looking for Akadama substrate, apparently have good reviews so far.