Brichardis!

herpetology!

So, I'll recap about my tank here:

29 gallon unheated (so about 20C)

3 paddletail newts

2 full size male brichardi cichlids

1 1/3 size (hopefully and looks like) female brichardi cichlid

feeder guppies, rams horn and trapdoor snails

So, my new small brichardi that looks female (the other ones her size and smaller looked to be getting male traits so I think I'm safe) has been chased around a bit by the two established males. Is this normal for introduction in the species? What should I look for with regards to breeding? I am hoping to get them to breed so the babies can help feed the newts (they will be culled and frozen/thawed when needed).

ALSO! Does anyone have an adult female they'd be willing to part with??

A room tempurature tank is not a great idea with brichardi cichlids, it should be about 77 degrees if memory is correct. Otherwise, sounds like a fun little broject. Be curious to see what happens when a newt enters the area of a breeding pair. I know they are mean when it comes to other fish that are smaller than they are anyways. Should be cool to find out

I have a brichardi in one of my tanks and it is quite nice. I have had it for while and the guys at Big Al's sold it me as a "lemon jake". Back then I was not up on the peacocks. What a completely different fish. Anyway from what I have read they don't do well with malawi's and yet that's all that's in there , go figure.

Edited by sicklid

You might have a couple issues with your setup. The temp is pretty cold for africans, it should be in the high 70*s(25-26*c). Also Brichardis can be very aggressive, especially when breeding. I'd be worried your newts will get picked on or have problems competing for food.

But as for breeding bricharis, if you have a male and female they will eventually breed. They really aren't picky. You may have to remove the extra male once you see that the female has made her choice. They can start breeding fairly small(2") too. Just becareful as breeding brichardis are very aggressive and protective over their babies. They can have every other fish/newt kicked out of their territory and huddled in a corner.