My Poor, Sad Betta

tinkerpuppet

I have a Betta that I got in March 2010 (he was an adult then, although no clue how old exactly). Last March I started to notice he had some white growths at the base of his tail. I've spent the last year watching them get bigger and bigger. Christmas Eve Day, he was at deaths door. Hidden down in the corner of the tank, wouldn't eat, would force himself up to the top for air, then sink back down. I thought there was no way he'd see his way to Boxing Day. I fed him for a couple days and he wouldn't eat, so I stopped for a couple days. On about day 5 or 6, I tried feeding him again and he weakly came up and ate a little. Then he kept eating a little each day, and now he's still here! But he's not well. I have a big anubias in the tank (a 10gal) and he spends most of his time sleeping on the leaves near the top of the tank (I figure so he doesn't have to swim up to get air). He still eats a little, but very little. He used to eat 7-8 betta pellets (I would feed him one at a time), and now he's maybe 1 or 2.

I feel terrible for him! He's obviously not well, doesn't swim unless he has to (and when he does he has a really hard time as the big growths throw him off balance), just stays on his leaf or down in the bottom corner of the tank. I just can't bring myself to end his life, but maybe I should, would that be the kind thing?

What would you more experienced aquarists do?

Edited to add a picture of him from October. You can see one of the growths, he has another one on the other side and they're bigger now. And the leaves that he now lives on in the background :(

IMG_4711.JPG

Edited by tinkerpuppet

Have you tried salting the tank? Half dose at first, then gradually increase to full medicinal dose. Might do the trick for the poor fella. If it's a tumor though he's probably done for and euthanization would be kindest. If the growth on the other side is almost in the same spot it's most likely a tumor, fungus should've spread more by now. Poor dude, unfortunately surgery on a betta isn't available yet.

Fish are cold blooded animals, just put it on the freezer, the temperature will drop slowly, and with that his metabolism, until it reaches the point of no return. His heart will stop and after that the rest of his body will freeze. I have euthanized some fish this way, and it is amazing how their frozen bodies show no sign of stress. They seem to die peacefully.

Thank you for all the replies. Yes, the growth is on both sides and does appear to be a tumour. When friends and family come over, they always ask if "that poor fish" is still here. It really is just sad. But I don't know if I have it in me to kill it, I've never killed anything (except for the nasty spiders that sneak their way into my house!). Every morning I get up and have to check if he's still alive, sure he hasn't made it through another night, but every morning he's there sleeping on his leaf. He's not affecting anything (I mean, I'm not worried he's making the tank sick or anything), but I don't know if he's in pain (do fish feel pain?). Oh I just wish he would peacefully pass away on his own! Thank you though for the suggestions, I'm going to have to think about this :(

I recently had euthanize a fish and it's tough but better than just leaving it to wither away imo.

The clove oil/alcohol method puts them to sleep then finishes it quickly and I read that its one of the few home methods that's considered humane.

Freezing is considered cruelty now I guess but I know for years it was the method of choice.