starting salt water

fish_man

topic says it all. umm right now i have 1 protine skimmer(the one from petland garage sale) and will be pickign the other two up if i can get a good deal on them. i have a little bit of noledge on them and am looking to set up a 90 gall tank. umm i will have to go take a look at big als or golds for sum stuff. for fish im looking at a Volitan Lionfish (Pterois volitans) and a few yellow tangs. maybe a couple clowns im not sure. how much do corals and other living creatures like that run for??

Just to give you a heads up; to quote Albert Dao-"It's going to be expensive!" This is what he told me when I had the same questions.

Depending on how much live rock you want, and type of lighting requirements (most corals will struggle and die with reg. flourescent) you can look forward to spending maybe $600-$1000 to get a tank of that size running with adequate lighting, rock, salt etc.

Check out Canreef-sometimes there's good deals there on complete set-ups.

You never know, sometimes people un-load their stuff cheap.

Corals range in price as well.

Good luck!

Rob

fish_man:

I would think twice about a Lion Fish in a 90gal tank, they just get to big for that size tank(15"). If you still want one then look into the dwarf lions....not as pretty but it would be happy in that size of a tank. A lion fish will eat praticaly anything it can put in its mouth so any snails or crabs will become a nice expensive snack for it :wacko: They are also a high protein fish which means lots of high protein poopies which means heavy skimming and or lots of water changes. I would only go with one yellow tang but it will most likly out grow your tank also they can get to almost 8" long and they can get very territoral, they love there sea weed and will keep your tank fairly free of alge B)

Correls can Range from $5 for some ones privite frag to upwords of $200+ for that something special that only you and the Doctor down the street have :D

Like Rob said about the lighting for said correls some like normal lighting and some like the MH lighting, you could start off with the low light correls and slowly move up from there. And there is live rock, sometimes you can find a deal when someone is tearing down a tank and get it for $5 /lb to buying it at REG price around $10/lb. I hope I haven't scared you off a salt system they are nice and as enjoyable as your other tanks :thumbs:

thanks for the info. i will get all my fish corals anennomies and all threw petland since ill get it for cheap since i work there. i am honestly not worried about cost of it all. 2 protine skimmers all ready, stand and tank in2 weeks and when ever i can get the other stuff i will. like i said tho ill try to convince my uncle togive me sum of his extra's so ill see what i can do.