Dyi -> No Leak Brine Shrimp Bottle Cap

ckmullin

Okie dokie.

I've used this method for a while without any problems. No clogging, nothing leaking, no tubing breakage or any problem. If you decide to do this build, I hope you have the same positive experience.

Materials used in the build:

bottle cap -> got from a 2L Dr. Pepper bottle (da best carbonated drink in da world!) use what you will

double nipple adapter -> found at your lfs

co2 tubing -> enough for your total build -> i've used co2 tubing as i've found it will not dry out/become brittle/crack as soon as standard air tubing

extra thick tubing -> a few inches

Lepages 'Flexible Plastic' -> http://www.lepagepro...il.aspx?pid=130

high temp hot glue stick

one small ziptie

200 grit sandpaper or equivalent (nail file etc)

drill bit -> for my bottle cap hole I used a 11/64 bit, you might need different depending on your own adapter

Rough up the bottle cap both inside and out where the adapter needs to be placed. Make sure it's rough and the shiny plastic has a matte finish. If there is one of those plastic washers inside the cap remove that and garbage.

Measure your own adapter and decide what drill bit size you need. I needed 11/64.

You have two good options. One to drill and one to use heat and melt the cap. I suggest to use heat and melt the cap as it will leave a raised edge of plastic that will help aid holding of the adapter. To melt, just torch the opposite end of the drill bit and slowly press into the cap on a flat surface. Face the cap so that the logo/top is up and the open threaded end is down...just how it sits on a bottle. It might need a couple attempts with different bottle caps to get the hole diameter SNUG for the adapter the first time you do this.

Test fit the adapter once again. When the adapter is finally inserted, leave the main adapter body on the outside part of the cap so that just one nipple is inside the bottle cap. Once its snug and will fit properly, remove and dab the Lepages around the adapter and reinsert. Make sure there is a continuous bead of glue around the adapter on both sides of the cap, in and out. If there isn't a continuous bead make sure there is! Tonnes is not needed as this is only to make a seal not for the support to hold it in place. Let dry.

Grab that high temp glue stick/gun and make a large bead around the adapter so that it covers well. If it the glue starts to drip, do more slowly or in layers. You can also wet your finger and press into place. The glue is very hot so do watch. Do this to both the inside and outside of the bottle cap. Let cool and add another layer if needed. This glue is the support for the build, so make sure you use enough.

For final assembly slide the co2 tubing over the outside nipple and ziptie tight. Next slide the heavier tubing over the ziptie and adapter. The heavier tubing is to prevent kinks/bending of the co2 tubing which can happen against the adapter.

If for some reason your build does clog in the future, just cut the ziptie remove the tubing and just clear the adapter with a piece of wire. No loss of tubing from cuts.

Type of adapter used:

wvbfau.jpg

Outside of bottle cap assembly:

24lvm0z.jpg

Inside of bottle cap assembly:

33cx6he.jpg

Disclaimers:

1) not the most pretty but I wasn't going for the beauty pageant crown

2) crappy pics but does show final product

If you don't like this more typical bottle cap extraction method, stay tuned for a decent non gravity dyi shrimp extractor designed by yours truly!

Edited by ckmullin