Breeding Zebra Nerite Snails

Fin2you

Ok so b/c my darling bridgesii's are laying clutches it got me thinking why my nerites weren't. Turns out they need brackish water to mate like minimal water current & they're incredibly difficult to breed in captivity.

I thought yesterday what the heck a new challenge would be fun.

So I took some of hubby's hard earned paycheque & added to my tank count.

got a 2gal drum fish bowl, Elite mini filter, a hydrometer, marine salt & used my bettabowl heater (though it's not looking like it will heat this bowl warm enough so today I'm getting a 50watt submersable).

anyone had sucess breeding these pretty snails?

in my experience the they need very clean soft freshwater to breed........then you take the eggs and put them in a brackish tank to hatch

they lay there eggs on everything,(if they lay eggs on driftwood,put the driftwood into the brackish tank)

-edit-

keep your temp at 77-78 in the freshwater tank,and keep the temp at 79-80 in the brackish hatchout tank

-edit again-

mine breed all the time.......im just waiting for them to hatch in my brackish tank.

hope this help

Edited by Sprucegruve

When I did it, they laid their eggs on a small internal filter, I then took that filter and stuck it in my saltwater tank...and after a couple weeks they hatched...but of course they hatched in a 110 gallon sw tank...so they got to roam around.

it's good to know it's not impossible! I've had my group in a betta tank for a month with no mating going on, maybe they're still too young. I only have 1 that's over 1". I did my brackish water to 1.010 according to my hydrometer. the below site said between 1.005-1.010. Definately gonna get a more powerful heater as this one only gets to about 25C.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/nerite.php

We will all have to keep in touch!

PS SpruceGrove it's BooBoo (purple with the broken shell) & Pablo the girl Fin took a nip out of the antenna & I immediately put in the quarentine who's mystery egg clutches I'm waiting for them to hatch out!