Glass Tops And Lighting

DragonNeko

I've heard, not measured personally, that dirty glass tops will block around 20% of the light. Window screen is commonly used to block the light on purpose if you have a bit too much and don't want to swap or raise the fixture.

Jewels, that was big of you ^. But you are right... misinformation spreads like the plague online. Numbers don't lie though.

Yeah, glass itself will blok almost nothing but once there's dust and condensation on it I think there would be a bigger drop. I still run glass tops on both of my tanks though.

I apologise for taking it off track.

Glass tops are nice because it gives you flexibilty. Like you said the light source is easy. With a secure glass top you have a multitude of lighting choices., , , and none of your investments end up getting "bumped" in to the tank. :o

Thanks for the info. I never thought of your comment as rude whatsoever and was never offended. I am pretty sure that you will find a difference if you take the same PAR test under 12" of water. But since I have never tested this myself, I cannot attest to its accuracy or not. Only from what I have read on other forums.