Fertilization in progress ...

Milan

After Garhan's skillful touch, this is how my tank looks like:

Planted08022005.jpg

Awesome !!!!

Here is what I'm facing now. I started fertilization according to Sears/Colin recommendations.

Since my Nitrates were @ about 5 ppm and Phosphates @ ~ 5 ppm (if true??), I figured there was a limiting factor, K being a suspect, so I used only K2SO4 and TE. After 5 days of dosing this my nitrates dropped to 0 and phosphates to 1 ppm. I guess it's time to add KNO3 to the equation. Now I'm wondering if I can continue dosing K2SO4 and KNO3 separately (not mixed together), because I really like the flexibility of adjusting the quantities individually. My solutions are:

KNO3 = 5.2gr (1 tsp) in 300 ml water

K2SO4 = 12.8 gr (2 tsp) in 300 ml water

KH2PO4 = 2.8 gr (1/2 tsp) in 300 ml water - not used yet

Is there something to measure K?

Is there a danger of overdosing Potassium?

Plants are doing fine so far, except for some little fuzzy green algae growing on leaves and front glass.

Edited by Milan

Milan, your tank look great.

I don't recognize that red/green plant on the stump at the front, what is it?

As far as your dosing questions, Garhan can correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a test kit for potassium made by "Lamotte", but I don't have a source for it. From reading other forums, some people say that they are unreliable.

To my knowledge you cannot overdose Potassium. Levels of 50+ppm have been reported with no ill effects on fauna and flora. ( Your levels should never get that high if you do regular water changes )

In most cases you can get enough K when dosing KNO3 / KH2PO4 to sustain the demands of your plants. If you have a large fish load and don't need to add NO3 /PO4,( which I don't think applies in your case ) then yes dose K.

NO3 to PO4 level should be at around 10 : 1 ratio. Mine basically stay at 20ppm NO3, 2-5 ppm PO4. ( All provided by the fish ) I dose K2SO4 1tsp every 2 weeks with water changes, and Plantex CSM+B solution 10ml/week (when I remember)

Here's a link to a ferts calculator that I find quite useful:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

Are you adding CO2 ?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

That red plant is the only fake one left in the tank, ... part of the stump. I'll replace the stump with a real bogwood in the near future. Hoping to find used one, that has been in the water for a long time ...

I'm not adding any phophates as of yet ... The test is still reading 1 ppm, so I'm using only K2SO4, KNO3 (started today) and TE.

And yes, there is CO2 ... If you look closer, the reactor is hidden behind Hygrophila p. on the right, and behind the rock ...

Edited by Milan

LOL, my first thought was that it was plastic. Then I thought " Nah! He would'nt keep a plastic one in there with the live stuff."

As far as algae goes, just make sure you keep your CO2 in the 25-30ppm range and keep adding your ferts. Your plants will soon outcompete it.

Andy

Hi Milan,

It is starting to look good. Still need more forground to grow in though.

High nitrogen levels can eventually lead to potassium deficiency.

Using KNO3 allows you to have a buffer of about four times the K+

above the need of NO3- when using KNO3. When using this product comparative to the plant’s requirements. This should mean that you have about ±75% of your NO3/NH4 coming from fish waste. Continue adding a little KNO3 for the remainder of the Nitrogen needs. And you will still have enough K+. Often higher light tanks such as yours with CO2 enriched, planted tanks are deficient more than what you might indicate in your tank. Adding KNO3 takes care of this K+ issue. If the fish load is very high(yours is not) or the tank is a non CO2 enriched tank (again yours is not). Then tap water with high NO3- levels, or K2SO4or KCl can be used in place of KNO3. I also still think in the back of my mind that your N cycle has not yet full matured because of the short time frame of the setup and low fish load.

I would continue for a little longer to not add K2HP04. Use the phosphate free ferts for at least a week or three yet unless you begin to notice a P04 deficiency or serious lack of P04 in your tests.

Cheers,

Garhan

It's starting to look too good. All the plants have phenomenal growth, to the point that I need to start trimming, if I don't want to let them overtake the entire tank. Anacharis grew 2" in the last few hours !!! Cabomba grew 3 or 4 nodes since planted and is almost reaching surface. Hygrophila P. in the right corner (I believe it is ..) the same .. That floating plant (can't find the name) grew 6-7 satellites and threatening to cover a big part of the surface ...

I think your suggestions are in line with what I'm doing Garhan. I'm keeping NO3 @ ~ 5 ppm and phosphates are already stubborn @ 1 ppm, so no additions of KH2PO4. Only K2SO4, KNO3 (if needed) and TEs on alternate days ..

Sounds good on the ferts. Hold steady for awhile to see what happens. i suspect the P04 may climb further due to any decaying plant matter and algae.

As for triming you may need to flush abunch or better trade with people on AA for other varieties. Trimming is straight forward on stem plants. Cut them back almost as heavy as you need too. I often trim them to within 2" of the substrate. This trim will also promote thicker growth.

By the way VERY WELL DONE> Welcome to the joy of plants..... :rolleyes:

I am including a 10 gallon tank setup photo that has been a night mare on the chemistry, but it is slowly coming around.

Cheers,

Garhan

post-36-1123365174

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Garhan,

I was away on vacation for a few days. I was stunned by surprise when I got back. There was literally not a single cubic inch of free water left in the tank. It was completely overtaken by plants, .. fish struggling to swim through the jungle. Too bad I didn't take a picture of it. So, I did a major trimming. Just as an illustration, Cabomba and Anacharis stems were all over the surface, most of them measuring 2-3 ft. Wisteria was also on the surface but also grown forward, almost reaching the front glass. Sagitaria in the foreground has few more bunches and existing ones are well grown. Trimmings alone are enough to set up a new tank of the same size, so I'm setting up a tank for a friend of mine.

Also the fish load increased. Platy gave birth, and due to the abundance of hiding places, survival rate is very high. I can't count them all ...

Fertilization was in my mother's hands, according to my instructions (K2SO4 only and TE on alternate days). I used automatic feeder on minimum dispense 2x/day. CO2 was running 24/7 without a glitch. Nitrates measured ~8 ppm, and phosphates ~1 ppm. Algaes were next to nonexistent. I also did a 50% water change after trimming. I think I'll carry on with the same routine.

I will certainly post a new picture tonight. However, if you are visiting Calgary sometimes, don't hesitate to drop by and have a look.

Cheers,

Milan

Garhan,

Here they are as I promised, but bear in mind this is unfortunately after the trimming ...

Front view

100_0777.jpg

Sagitaria-front view

100_0776.jpg

Sagitaria- notice new shoots

100_0783.jpg

Left side. These plants (help me with names) were about half size when planted ...

100_0779.jpg

Hygorophila was decimated. Most of the stems left were actually side shoots ...

100_0780.jpg

This plant (need help with the name ..) is in the middle of the tank ... You can see Wisteria behind, decimated too ... I left some of the side branches ..

100_0781.jpg

Look at these little fellas (help me with the name again) ...

100_0782.jpg

Hope this helps you go easier thru the night <_<

Cheers,

Milan

Edited by Milan