Yay! Kribensis Fry

riverpirate

Well last week I came home to see what i thought was my kribensis spawning, darting in and out of their lil cave in turn and getting very territorial. well a lil over a week went by and I stopped to look in the little tank. and sure enough mom and dad were taking the little school of about twenty fry for a little outing in the tank. Im so excited! Finally had an egglayer batch of fry. It worked out well as I had just gotten rid of about twenty mollies out of the tank the other day.

It just so happened I was enroute to the petstore for lights, so I grabbed a sponge filter. But no one in town had any baby brine shrimp.

So my big question is does anyone have any live cultures I might be able to grab off of them? can compensate with money....

In the mean time ill probably just crush flakes and send them in with the ol turkey baster

t

With different batches of cichlid fry I've had I never even had to get any specialized food for them, typically the mom or dad would just munch up whatever I was feeding them and spit it into the little school of fry. Best of luck.

Congrats on the fry!

I don't worry too much about feeding my Krib fry. They scavenge with their parents pretty well. I've got some moss growing on wood, which they like to pick at. I also put in algae wafers at night for the plecos, and I think the fry nibble on what's left over in the sand.

Like most cichlid fry I would think they can scavange a meal up off the ground or from mom and dad. I have used NLS wafers with cichlid fry many times, just let them pick away at it, then on to Grow formula.

Well thanks for the congrats and the info guys. Just the first time with krib fry. Im just spot feeding their food into the little loop the parents are taking the fry on their outings. I was told the little outings were to teach the fry how to find their own food so I think this should work.

Really happy this happened in the Girlfriends little tank as she was starting to get sick of the fish after dealing with an ick outbreak and suffering some losses in the big tank. Now shes all back on board with the fish keeping. Now if my apistos would just get doing the deed now.

And grow formula?

Well its a sad day. No more fry left. I looked late yesterday and they only seemed to have two with them on their little excursion. Now today there appears to be none. Water ammonia nitrite and nitrates all are in check. I thing this may be a case of them damn substrate dewlling assassin snail as they kribs shifted out of their cave in favor of a hole momma krib had made under a chunk of lava rock recently. Checked my HOB filter last night in hopes they had been sucked up into there and found assassins were starting to show up in there too... Think I might throw some pennies in there and teach these snails a lesson..

Its a little sad, but hopefully we'll have better luck. It was our first try with egg layers. I was kind of surprised our eggs hatched at all with our ph levels Guess this gives me time to get everything in check for the next go around. Did kind of catch me off gaurd.

But since the fry are gone Im going to throw the tank under co2 as well. And while Im at it Im getting culligan to come and hook up a RO unit. For thirty dollars a month and they look after all filters and will suit it to my needs, why not...

Sorry to hear! My Kribs recent batch suddenly disappeared too...I'm blaming my Bristlenose. I was thinking of blaming the Tetras, cause that would explain why they're so beaten up. They usually stay away from the kribs, but I think they've been getting brave/stupid. I did catch 3 of the recent fry earlier and move them to my fry tank where 4 from another batch are growing up nicely.

Do you have anything else in the tank? Also, the parents themselves might have eaten them if it's their first batch. Can take them a few tries to get it right.

Yeah I also have a red tail shark and a few platys. The platys keep their distance. the red tail shark gets a lil nosy but mom and pops are relentless and keep beating him down. hes actually starting to look a lil rough around the edges. He might have gotten at them at night all stealthily. Im currently trying to get him out of the tank and rehomed. Gonna try some night lighting next time to help momma krib out at night. As well try to get some dwarf hairgrass planted on the floor.

But yeah could have been mom or dad as well. Hoping we get some better luck next time.

On the upside I just acquired some wild caught apistos to add to my larger tank, and theyre all looking pretty flirty. Even my other male who was seeming to lack any interest.

• 1 month later...

Well they did it again. Got some more fry swimming around. And we still have two juvenile from the last batch around there as well too.

Have them in there with some platys and baby platys, two pea puffers, and a couple juvenile bristlenose plecos. These fish have quickly learned to keep their distance. So hopefully we'll have a better survival rate this time.