Gas Station Fish Sales

So I took a wknd trip to Bonnyville since I was kidless for the long wknd, travelled along Hwy 28 and came back that way, stopped at a little mom and pop gas station to refuel and sitting on a rack near the till were these little cups with lids on filled with blue tinted liquid, so curiosity got the best of me as I had only seen something like the cups holding bettas at pet stores like PJ's or Petsmart, and sure enough one of the 5 cups sitting there held an emaciated betta veil tail but my shock went deeper as the other 4 cups held a single danio each, so I ended up spending 20 dollars and rescuing these poor fish, chatting up the owners I found out they had bought them in Edmonton and these were the last of around 30 (12 bettas and 18 danios) they had sold as fish in a cup and they told me how I could keep them in the cup or a glass vase and how they didnt require heat and to just change some of the water once a week, no mention of chemicals, and if I added bamboo that I could get from the grocery store I wouldn't even need to feed them anything extra. After I paid for the fish, I explained to them on the error of their misinformation that the petstore had told them, they were a bit shocked at everything needed to keep the fish healthy, they had been thinking about bringing more in as the fish had sold so well, but now thinking of maybe bringing in the extras as well (small tanks, chemicals, food) as well as setting up a tank to hold the schooling fish (tetras,danios, neons, barbs) so hopefully they follow through on the plan or just not sell fish....

Good work on the fish rescue, hopefully these store owners will learn their lesson and stay out of the fish business. Too many people already buy fish without the proper information, it's sad to hear that an uninformed gas station is now selling them to passers-by. The betta is one thing, but poor danios. What type of danios were they? If you're looking to re-home I may be able to help.

unfortunately, if we buy them, they will restock them however they wish. Supply and demand. If the demand is there, they can supply it. Hopefully, they are the few that actually cares for the welfare of the fish as well. I always wanted to rescue a few fish from terrible condition but I know that if I "rescue" the fish, they will just get more to sell to misinformed buyers.

Well they are in quarantine atm, and if they survive probably just add to my school, they are a long fin but are fairly dark so not sure for certain but think they are blue danios as they look like a blue I had before