Linear Air Pump Question

Sorry mods couldn't think of what section this would be best in.

I'm looking to buy a linear air pump from a couple different sources,fish sites/stores,hydroponics stores.or used

But I'm confused as to how much power I will need my air pump to be.This air pump will be running 28X50 gallon sponge filters.

I'm looking online and I found one that is rated for 30 outlets at 1.4 psi each.this seems a little low power but what do I know.

Or one that is rated for 40 outlets at 2.4 psi each,is this good or too much power?

This air pump will be powering my 11 ft three teir shelf.(sixX10gal,fiveX15gal,20tall,20long,30,35)

I will be getting a second air pump to run most of the other tanks,I just don't want to risk putting my whole fish room on one pump,if it breaks then every tank has problems.

Edited by Sprucegruve

Ok let's make my questions more clear.

#1 would running 28 out of 30 outlets be too stressful on my pump makeing it not last as long?

#2 is 1.4 psi enough power to run a 50 gallon sponge filter efficiently?

#3 Would 2.4 psi be overkill on a 50 gallon sponge?

#4 if 2.4psi is not too much power,could I buy the 40 outlet fixture and only use it for 30 sponge filters,and plug the extra 10 holes?

#5 ^ if I did #4 would that raise my overall psi from 2.4 psi to 3.0 psi technically if I'm running less outlets than recommended or would that blow my pump?

Thanks in advance to whoever has enough energy to type out some answers

The way I understand it is you can run as much as they are rated for or more. It is back pressure from not having enough outlets running that causes harm to these pumps. I have several outlets on each pump that I use to bleed excess air. Not sure about the psi thing as I never measured it. I would go for more power than you need it gives you the option of adding more airstones or sponge filters should you need them. Just bleed any excess pressure. I think they make a bleeder valve for this purpose but I have not used one yet.

If you look at how Ted Judy did his fishroom (different pump, but still multiple outlets) on YouTube or his website, you can see how he uses adjustable valves, so that he can control te flow to each tank as needed. His larger tanks have 2 airlines running a matten filter; so, if you go for the 40 line pump, you'll be able to over filter to your hearts desire! :)