Your Thoughts On Camallanus

flyfisher

Ok i've begun treatment with Lev on my tank for this pest,I was wondering if this thing is more common than people seem to think.I know since this outbreak I,ve noticed it in more and more tanks including lfs.Is it possible that alot of the infections we comonly see are secondary infections caused by our fish having weakened immune systems from these worms.This might explain why some fish just don't respond to the treatments or quickly pick up something else.

I have notice a lot of lfs use a central filtration system for thier tanks so if one tank or one fish shipment is infected all will be,I know it wouldn,t be economical for stores to QT fish for the 8-12 weeks it takes for these worm to show them selves so it would be up to the hobbist to QT all fish( I will be treating all future stock as infected and treat with Lev from now on) and why has'nt any one of the companys come out with a medication that is effective for control of these.

FLY

I have written nasty letters to a couple to pet stores that have worms, but pet stores are about turning over stock and making a buck, and when they die in your tank, you buy more. I have recieved politically correct answers, but there is never any followup. Worms are a tough critter to deal with without hurting or killing everything in the system, and a store isn't going to shut down to purge a plague that is hidden for the most part.

Treatment is nearly impossible for a store with a central system. Better stores have sponge filters in each tank. Helps prevent cross contamination.

Always QT new fish. Medicate them and never share nets without disenfection.

My philosophy, don't buy from stores if at all possible. If you do give your business to a good one. Don't skimp on the quarantine. Everything you need you can find on forums. Buy your fish off respected members of the fish nerd society.

Can you Pm me a list of infected stores? It seems to me like they are being spread between us on the forum here. I went a long time without buying from any pet store before I got an outbreak. Pretty much put down every fish in my 90 gallon.

I have written nasty letters to a couple to pet stores that have worms, but pet stores are about turning over stock and making a buck, and when they die in your tank, you buy more. I have recieved politically correct answers, but there is never any followup. Worms are a tough critter to deal with without hurting or killing everything in the system, and a store isn't going to shut down to purge a plague that is hidden for the most part.

Treatment is nearly impossible for a store with a central system. Better stores have sponge filters in each tank. Helps prevent cross contamination.

Always QT new fish. Medicate them and never share nets without disenfection.

My philosophy, don't buy from stores if at all possible. If you do give your business to a good one. Don't skimp on the quarantine. Everything you need you can find on forums. Buy your fish off respected members of the fish nerd society.

Your right this does seem to be a taboo subject when mentioned in lfs you either get a puzzled look or a list of possiblities some of them make me question the reliablity of their knowledge on the subject or down right misinformation.

i"ve heard "its the food you are feeding them causing the red things to stick out of their rear ends brine shrimp and blood worms are red and some fish food has red dye to enhance color" give me a break.I've also had some try to sell me loads of differnet meds costing $ which don't work when questioned they usually respond with "have you tried them yet".

Your right Jayba internet forms should be first line of defence and approach this subject with some knowledge on the subject.Buyer beware also applies

FLY