Went planted

Parker

I have had my first tank set up for three short weeks and I hated the plastic plants the second they went in to the tank. Today I decided it was time to rectify that and I headed down to the store and picked up a CoraLife 24" 28w light (probably paid too much for it) and some plants. The tank has quite a bit less in it now, but I am much happier with the way it looks. :)

What do you think?

Regards

post-36-1124163881

It's a good start Parker. Looks nice, definitely better than fakes. Welcome to the joy of plants. It would be helpful if you could tell us more about your setup. What's the tank size, substrate, fish load, etc ...

As far as I could see from the picture you posted, there are some Java ferns, vals ... Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a good layout on the hardscape. But you might consider matching the grain angle in the rock to the log. Have both pieces angled at the same asmyth. Also do your hardscaping of the rock in goups of 3, or 5 and of the same type of rock. It will look much better when the tank is heavily planted and when some of your plants begin to grow in and fill the empty areas. Keep us posted as the tank comes along.

Garhan

Edited by Garhan

Thanks for the kind words and tips.

More about my tank:

Small 20 Gallon

Fish Load:

3 - Painted Tetra

5 - Zebra Danios

2 - Panda Cory's

Plants:

1 - Java Fern

1 - Windelov Java Fern

2 - Vallisneria Torta

Lighting:

CoraLife 24" / 28w Dual Light / 1- full spectrum, 1 - 6700K

My old plastic hood with stock 18" fluorescent is still on the tank also.

Substrate:

Gravel, cant tell you what kind.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Parker, as far as substrate goes, you may consider "Aquatic Plant Soil", also called "Profile", and sold by RONA or simillar stores. I have a very good experience (success) with it. You can top it with gravel, but the existing one, from the picture you posted, looks a bit too coarse. Ideally, the granulation should be = or > then lower layer's to avoid natural segregation (larger particles tend to move above smaller ones). With APS bellow, roughly ~ 2mm. In my tank, I have also embedded Seachem Flourish tabs into the lower layer (APS).

Lighting:

I'm not sure if your Coralife is 28W total, or it's 2x28W, since you mentioned "dual", and what is the wattage of your stock fixture? In any case, if your total wattage reaches 2W/gal, you have to consider CO2 injection. However, your selection of plants is good for low light conditions.

You will also need more plants.

Cheers,

Milan

• 1 month later...

It looks beautiful Parker. Definitely something to be proud of, and I'm sure you are ...

Can you give us some more details. Obviously many things have changed since your last post ... Are you using the same hardware as before, are you fertilizing and how, is there a CO2 ...?

Edited by Milan

All the equipment is the same as before. I did change the substrate over to profile. I'm running DIY Co2 ( If I could only keep the snails out of it )

I was moving a few things around and noticed the water was a little cold. My heater isn't working and I'm not sure how long it's been down. No casualties though. Thats the second heater in three months...

I wonder myself if snails actually like CO2 ... Somehow they manage to get into my reactor, and they even lay eggs there, right on the CO2 outlet :mad:.

Make sure your heater top is above the water level, unless it is a fully submersible one. Anyhow, no heat is better than cooking your fish, and they are known to do nasty things like that ...

You made a good choice with the substrate. Bear in mind that Profile is inert, in other words does not contain any nutrients, so you will have to add them yourself.

Edited by Milan