Tropheus

rahim101

Well I thought I'd write a quick updateon my tropheus duboisi colony.

I had been keeping fish on and off now for about 15 years and for me it has usually been that I get board with the fish I am keeping very quickly and end up selling them off and replacing them with something that I percieve to be interesting at the time.

I had tried tropheus back a couple of years ago, a colony of T. Kiriza, I have 11 of them in a 90 gallon tank and as they starting breeding, I started loosing one by one to bloat caused by agression. I was soon down to 6 fish in my colony with none of the same species to found to increase the colony and ended parting with the 6 that I had left having to re-stock my tank once again.

Well, despite my bad luck with keeping Tropheus, I was given a chance to obtain a large colony of 20 duboisi fry that were about an inch big.

I have had this colony now for about 8 months and they are now starting to reach breeding age.

I have had a couple of bouts of bloat and have not lost a sigle fish and these guys seem to be very happy in thier 90 gallon home with 4 tropheus red rainbows.

On my second go around with tropheus I decided to start with a large colony and now realize that these are most interesting fish I have ever kept. They occupy every inch of the tank and are always there to greet me when I go to feed them.

They have an interesting pecking order and no one fish get picked on with the large numbers in the tank.

So far, this is the longest I have ever kept a certain type of fish and I have not yet come close to loosing interest.

They do have a few challenges in keeping, buy the rewards of keeping these fish has been awesome.

I hope to have spawning soon and to view a whole new set of behavior.

I would recommend these fish to a more novice fish keeper and to maintain a large group.

That's all...

Just an update!!!!

Very interesting I have had tropheus on my mind for quite some time they are a very nice and interesting fish

Thanks for the information Rahim, keep us updated I for one would be interested on how your colony progresses.

Tom

Edited by tc51

Hi Tom,

I will update as thing progress.

Right now I have them in 90 gallon tank with the following:

20 Tropheus duboisi "maswa"

4 Tropheus Moorii Kambawimba "Red Rainbow"

7 cyrichromis Leptosoma "utinta"

1 Neolamprologus Buescheri Zaire Gold

1 Rhino pleco

I am in the process of setting up another 90 gallon tank where I will remove the cyps (and put the colony of multis that I got from you) and pleco and I am trying to sell off the busecheri and the 4 red rainbows.

I am finding that in a 90 gallon tank, there is NOT enough room for more then one species of tropheus as I seem to have 2 dominant males that are interupting breeding of the other species of tropheus. Also, the cyps that were recently added when I shut down a 55 gallon tank are no longer showing the breeding behavior that the were in their own tank.

In a week or so, once I have the new tank set up, I will take pics and give an update.

Anyone want to buy or trade for 4 a small breeding group of Tropheus "red rainbow" and a N. Buescheri male??????

I'll trade 4 of the Red Rainbows for 4 duboisi "Maswa" adults.

The Red Rainbows have bred and held eggs!!!

• 4 weeks later...