Fluidized Sand Bed Filters. Anyone Using Them?

Lindsey

Wondering if anyone is using fluidized sand bed filters and what experience they've had with them. They seem like a great option for larger systems and I'm wondering why I don't see them in use more often. I'm considering one for a 300ish gallon grow-out system.

Used a homemade one for years with excellent results. I'd be interested to see what you think of yours after a few months. I understand that fluidized filter beds react much quicker to sudden increases in waste products than other types of filters. If I used a large tank (>200 gallons) or system I wouldn't be without one.

I'm planning to use mine with a sump, Fishnerd. From what I understand they work like any other bio-media providing surface area for beneficial bacteria. The advantages are the large surface area by volume compared with other types of media, and the fact that the sand bed is fluidized, keeping all of the media in contact with flowing water preventing anaerobic zones you would get with conventional "bio ball" type media in a sump. The tumbling of the media also allows the bacteria colony to grow and die off quickly as necessary.

Looking forward to giving it a try, though I won't really have a frame of reference to say that it's better than a conventional wet/dry, both because I'll have a conventional wet/dry in the same sump as well as it being a new system. I'll post a review when I've had it running for a while.

Thanks, guys!

Edited by Lindsey