Sick discus?

Oneiroid

Hey there -

I have a discus who seems to be "hic-upping" for lack of a better term. He does not seem to be eating or moving well in general also (bobbing along the bottom, tilting etc). He is, however, showing great colour. If he wasn't acting strange, I wouldn't think he was sick at all. I think this may just be some gill irritation? I noticed this just this evening... this afternoon he was fine. I upped the temperature in the tank by a degree and added a dose of melafix. I do not know if there is anything else I can do (or should do) for the little guy - of about 3 inches. He is in a tank with 2 others which do not show any signs of discomfort.

Any thoughts?

Maybe a damaged swim bladder or gastro-intestinal issue of some kind . I've heard of using epsom salts to help relieve this type of condition but someone else will have to give you the dosage because I don't remember where I saw the article.

You can try epsome salts - the headstanding and distress is a sign of bloat. 2 tablespoons to every 10 gallons. Premix the salts in warm water and then add to ensure that it disolves.

What are you feeding?

If he is not headstanding, but instead falling to the side. This can be commonly caused by two things stress or a bacterial infection. In this case do a large water change and add aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons, and hopefully you will see an improvement.

Kevin

If in fact this is a gill irritation.It sounds to me by the behavior that he may likely have "Gill Flukes", which is not that uncommon to discus. Check out the appropriate medication in a discus book. If there are no plants or other fish in the tank with him (or isolate him to a 10 gallon tank with original tank water) and raise the temp to 90 F. Flagasile will likely do the job and will also cleanout any intestinal parisistes.

Garhan

Edited by Garhan

Well, it looks like he is back to normal after the melafix dose. And everyone else is great too.

For future reference, as both aquarium salts and epsom salts were recommended to dose with, can someone tell me for which each would be preferential for? Or can these types be interchanged for the same job, and if so, is one preferred over the other?

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

Aquarium salt is good for reducing stress and it makes like more difficult for some nasty bacteria (something about the osmotic tolerance for salt of bacteria is much less than that of the fish). All I know is the first sign of excess mucus or clamped fins, I add a little salt.

Epsom salts are for constipation. Something discus are reknowned for, but I have only seen once in 18 months of keeping them for. The signs are discus is head down at 45 degrees, looks stressed and is sitting in one place treading water - they are probably constipated.

Just out of curiousity, may I ask how much and how often you are changing your water?

Kevin

Just out of curiousity, may I ask how much and how often you are changing your water?

I try to aim for 25-30% every couple weeks or so. The discus are in a heavily planted tank, so the water remains pretty clean for quite a period.

Thanks for the info on the salts. I will make sure I have some of each on hand.

Sarah