Setting Up A New Shrimp (Specific) Tank

jumpsmasher

I use similar products to what what Ron uses - basically one is a type of montmorillonite clay / mineral powder (in my case Mosura Old Sea Mud or generic montmorillionite clay) and the other is a bacteria powder (in my case Mosura BT-9).

In the area where I don;t have my UG filter I uses a generous layer of montmorillionite clay, and a couple sparkle of bacteria and some bacteria based baby shrimp food for good measure. Than I add about 1/2 or 2/3 of my substrate.. than I add a bit more bacteria, than the rest of the substrate.

I dose my bacteria whenever I do a water change. The montmorillionate clay that is under the substrate is suppose to be good for aorund 6 months.. after that you can dose it weekly as well.

Just finished tweaking my TB tank. I didn't go with UGF system as I already had my additives and ADA Amazonia in the tank. My pH was only getting down to ~6.0 so I took some of it out and capped it with some ADA Africana Powder type. My filter has been circulating for 20 minutes or so and my pH is 5.1. I tried the bag method that Liam uses for filling his tanks and it worked like a charm. I however didn't drip, I pumped the water in though a 12mm hose but it still worked great. Only a week till they land :D.

Thanks again for posting these setups along with your own jumpsmasher, they were all very helpful. Now for my PRL tank!

Ron

Make sure you keep an eye on the nitrite levels - the lower ph will eliminate any free ammonia but your total ammonia level might still be up there and you might get some nitrite spikes. Be prepare to so water changes if they do go up and keep dosing some bacteria

Make sure you keep an eye on the nitrite levels - the lower ph will eliminate any free ammonia but your total ammonia level might still be up there and you might get some nitrite spikes. Be prepare to so water changes if they do go up and keep dosing some bacteria

Thanks for the heads up, I have 2 to 3 water changes scheduled before they arrive.

Other than the Fluval shrimp line, shrimp specific products will have mail ordered. I get most of my Mosura and BorneoWild products from the States but there are a few places in canada that sells them as well. Canadian Aquatics used to carry Mosura but I don't think they continued with it.

There is also this site but i never dealt with them before

http://www.shrimpfever.com

• 2 weeks later...

Great posts... I might have to make some changes to my shrimp tanks... lol

By no means is this the only way to go about setting up a CRS tank. I am going to try a few different things as well for my next series of tanks as well. Will be ditching the UG filter and trying out the Akadama we picked up. Never really did a tank without a UG filter or with Akadama so curious to see how it goes.

Edited by jumpsmasher

By no means is this the only way to go about setting up a CRS tank. I am going to try a few different things as well for my next series of tanks as well. Will be ditching the UG filter and trying out the Akadama we picked up. Never really did a tank without a UG filter or with Akadama so curious to see how it goes.

Just set up a 15 gallon with Akadama yesterday. Screened it and got about a 60/40 split of small pieces to big. Put my additives on the bottom, about 3/4" layer of the big pieces and then 3/4" layer of the small. Got the water in without disturbing it to badly but when I ran a bamboo skewer through it to get the air bubbles out, it clouded pretty bad but an Aquaclear with filter floss cleared it up pretty quick. It was sitting at a pH of 5.5 before I added in my ammonia last night to feed my cycled filter, then it went to 6.0 and it's at 5.9 now. Not sure if those readings are any good anyways as the TDS reading is 0 ppm. I'll let you know once I remineralize it. I used RO/DI water and when I first added it, it was reading a pH of 5.1.

Ron