Can I Change My Betta's Home?

DragonNeko

He's currently in a 5g filtered and heated tank, but I was wondering...

1. I have a 3g tank that I'd like to move my Betta to. With weekly water changes will it be okay with no filter?

2. Is a heater needed? It will be in my daughters room, which is the warmest in the house.

3. I want to add some plants to it for extra oxygen. The window will be covered with a thick plastic to keep it warmer, so not much light will get in. If they plants aren't getting enough light, would it be bad if I got a low emitting light to put above the tank at night and double it as a night light? Or should I go for something during the day only?

4. As long as I put a divider in the middle, can I fit two in there?

If moving him to the 3g will be bad for him, then I'll try to set up the 5g in my daughters room. The 3g is hard to get a filter and heater on to, since it's rather narrow. My daughter likes it though, so thought I'd try to put it to use.

DSC09604-1.jpg

My pretty boy :)

I posted in your angel thread.

betta is a labrynth fish, similar to gouramis. You can actually try to keep him with the new angels for a time. just make sure when you put him in there that you have the time to watch the interaction incase it goes poorly. I had a betta in with my discus (cichlid just like angel / cousin to labrynth fish) and it did fine until it jumped out.... he couldnt fly very well.

while you can keep bettas with no heater, no filtration, it is just IMO not a good idea. cold fish in less than good water = recipe for illness. usually when us humans can see the symptoms of a sick fish it is now too late to treat effectively. best thing we can do is keep them happy and healthy with the cleanest, properly cycled environment possible.

I hadn't thought to try that, thanks! I'll put him in the 55g this Saturday, and see how he does. At the very least, I can keep him in a breeding box if things go bad. The flow of the water in the 5g seems to stress him out, so the 55g might suit him better with a more gentle flow. Actually, I'm gonna move him in there now. If the Kribs bug him, I can move him to the box. That tank is the most stable, so he'll be happy :)

I have 2 bettas in 3.5G wave front separated by some crafting mesh with a tetra 1-3 gallon air pump driven filter, at walmart for 16 dollars comes with a lil carbon filter, I find they work really well have them in all my betta tanks, they just suction on the side, and fit wide ways as they are only 2" wide, also walmart has a small 5G heater around 8-10 dollars, they dont really heat the water very well but will keep it at around 20-22 C, I would worry about him in with the kribs

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I have 2 bettas in 3.5G wave front separated by some crafting mesh with a tetra 1-3 gallon air pump driven filter, at walmart for 16 dollars comes with a lil carbon filter, I find they work really well have them in all my betta tanks, they just suction on the side, and fit wide ways as they are only 2" wide, also walmart has a small 5G heater around 8-10 dollars, they dont really heat the water very well but will keep it at around 20-22 C, I would worry about him in with the kribs

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to check those out. I got two males in my 5g with a divider, and my original male in the 55g. He's doing great in there. His colors are so much nicer, and the Angels and Kribs have seen him, stared a bit, then swam away. That's as far as anything has gone, so they seem content with him taking the top space of the vals.

Edited by DragonNeko

20121107_104311-2.jpg

My original male Betta in the 55g. He loves to weave around the plants, but hates getting his picture taken lol

Thanks to everyones advice all 3 bettas are happy in their new homes :)