When Recharging Purigen...

creekbottom

Bleach resistant - learn something new everyday. Mine is just plain old pantyhose.

There are charts online that describe chemical resistance in nylon if you want to have a peek.

The pantyhose expert in our house says, "Nylon [stockings] will lose elasticity and disintegrate much faster than regular washing." Nylons won't spontaneously dissolve, but they will eventually (ahem) lose containment. As already mentioned, replace your stocking when it starts to go.

I've read (someplace) that there are cheaper bleach-resistant alternatives to buying The Bag by Seachem. But I never followed up on the claim.

With a statement like that you know I'm gonna ask. What is your technique? :)

(I'm relieved you didn't take my comment as a quip) ;)

I shake the bag out into a glass 2cup measuring cup, turn the bag inside out and trickle water over the bag to rinse the purigen beads into the measuring cup. That water becomes part of the 1:1 bleach solution the purigen soaks in.

I can't just leave it alone for 24hrs. No, I'm compelled to stir it a couple times because the beads quickly sink and settle. Besides, seeing the beads turn white is therapeutic; it makes me feel better. :blush:

After the token 24hrs, I pour off the solution until the purigen starts to shift. Add water, swish and repeat the pour off process a few times (until I start feeling better). My final pour goes back into the bag. I might lose the equivalent of what would fit on a nickel.

It takes more time and discipline to describe what I do than it takes to do it (less the 24hr wait). But even so, I concede that dropping the bag in solution is way easier, and what The Bag was designed for. *recalculating*

I cut the feet off my wife's old pantyhose, tie it off. Instant fine mesh bag. When I recharge it I cut it open and dump it in a disposable Tupperware with bleach. Put a lid on it. Give er a shake to get the floaters in the solution. When done I pour it into a new pantyhose foot, or even the old one. Tie it and rinse well. Then soak it in prime water. Tada!