What Colour Are Furcata Rainbow Eggs?

cainechow

I got one boy and two girl Furcata rainbows last week and the boy looks like he is dancing for the girls sometimes. So I'm on the lookout for eggs that may or may not need saving from the Amanos and or the adults.

What am I looking for? Do they lay eggs after lights out?

If the male is dancing around with the females, likely they girls are producing eggs. They lay eggs during the day and sleep at night. Incubation period for the egg is somewhere aroung 16 - 20 days, longer if the water is colder than 80 degrees. I believe your amanos will see the eggs before you will !

Are the eggs black in the middle and clear on the outside or more just clear?

I was thinking of setting up some kind of breeding net thing with some plants in there so that the girls can do their thing. I don't really want to setup an entire new aquarium yet at the same time I wanna see if I can get baby furcatas.

Males and females need to be together when the eggs are laid, as fertilization is external. Your breeder net idea could work with a few different moss bunches: when they lay eggs in one bunch of moss, put it in the net til they hatch, then swap with another bunch left in the tank.

You are seeing eggs - clear w a black spot is a good sign. You may be OK w the Ammanos; a friend of mine raised furcatas and cherry shrimp in the same tank.

I definitely saw an amano eating eggs this morning then. He wouldn't let them go when I tried to scare him into dropping them with a bamboo skewer.

I guess I need some moss rocks then.

I'll hunt for eggs when i get home tonight. Hard to find in the HC/Fluorite I'm sure. If I find them I'll drop them in my micro 'fuge for the time being... hmmm maybe I should just foam line my micro fuge so that the overflow out of it won't let fishies out.... need to think about that one.

I have seen many a fry - never an egg.

,,,my two lazy bits.

The adults will most likely consume any fry before you spot them. You may find it easier to net out the parents and wait out the incubation period.

These guys survived incubating with CRedSP1170819.jpg

Surviving incubation with CRS or Cherry I have seen also, a number of times, however it is determined by a number of factors...

How many breeding female furcatus are in the tank? and how prolific are they ..... 1 egg a day or 5 eggs a day?

How many shrimp are in the tank? How well are they being feed?

How big is the tank and how much cover is available? In the situations I have seen where the fry survive, I have not seen any eggs and the fry had to be removed at once as the parents were hunting them, and the parents were being feed live bb and live foods supplementation in addition. Probably didn't see the eggs because the female found a good hiding spot...... not out where it can be seen easily.

Now the Amano shrimp is a different critter then the CRS or cherry. When I first had them years ago, loved the way they cleaned up the tank, one inch fish, gutted and cleaned within hours. Not a bit of shyness like the CRS or cherry. If there is something there that it can eat, it will eat it!

It appears that you may have a breeding group of furcatus, if you want to increase the odds dramatically of ever seeing a fry, remove the Amanos.

BTW the eggs at first will appear clear and then within a few days a black spot will develope, which will grow until hatched.

Edited by Rainbowric

I have 2 girls and one boy in this 10G, but I'm planning on getting a few more on Saturday.

I can't tell how many eggs are being lain a day because I can't see them.

For planting level. A current shot of the tank:

IMG_20121121_063838.jpg

So now I'm kinda leaning towards another small tank or maybe some kind of tank in my tank.