Betta Spawning

Spinalcore

I just had 2 crowntails Breed in the last hour or so. I don't know how this batch will do as he never built his nest and it is both of their first spawn.

The first spawn:

Laid on June 24, Hatched June 26th

Has 3 or 4 fry still alive after 3 weeks out of 75-150.

The Second spawn:

Laid on July 12th, Hatched on the 14th

Appears to have 30+ alive after 1 Week out of 100+.

And the third:

Laid on July 21st, Should Hatch in 36 hours.

it looks like about 150 eggs

Spawn 1 & 2 are the same parents (F Blue CT, M Pastel CT/VT cross)

spawn 3 is 2 crowntails. (F Cambodian CT, M Steel Red Butterfly CT)

3 Spawns in 3 weeks!!!!

I might be over run with bettas if this keeps up over the summer. (as long as I can keep them alive)

Edited by Spinalcore

They are so small that all that you can really see is a little black dot with a transparent tail at about 0.1" as of 1 day. The eggs are little 0.03" white dots. At 4 weeks they are just under 0.5".

Here a Site that shows the growth rate and sizes of bettas from eggs to 11 weeks http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/bettagrowth.html

My first spawn is 3.5 weeks old and already just under 0.5"

• 2 weeks later...

I put a few guppy fry in the tank to the other day and now I have 8 or more betta Fry that I though that I had lost swimming around with them. I had read somewhere that it is a good way to get the bettas more active and to eat more. I guess that it does work. Because there are a few of the missing bettas swimming around and growing.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I pulled 3 bettas out of the tank and put them in a 10 gallon wild guppy\endler tank the first spawn has 3 survivors that are now 7 weeks old and they have their horizontal lines showing nice and dark but no real color coming out in the bodies. Their fins are getting a nice dark coloration to them. I will be trying another spawn in a couple of weeks. There are a few more in the 5 Gallon tank that are from the second spawn and a few guppy fry left in with them. I also have a pregnant neon swordtail and a few pregnant feeder guppies\endlers

• 3 weeks later...

Update: It has now been over 2 months and I have managed to keep 2 alive from the first spawn. (That is apparently better than most people seem to do for their first few spawns.) Most people seem to lose the first 3 or so. The second spawn apears to be gone. I gan only see the Guppy fry which are smaller than the betta fry when I put them together I have been checking on them daily and there don't apear to be any dead fry on the botom of the tank. They all just disapeared. I have 15 guppy fry in the tank that had the bettas in and they are still there and doing great.

The 2 from the first spawn now have visable twin rays on their Tail fins and the larger one has the rest of the fins having defined rays coning out nicely. They both have alot of red to them with blue fin outlines and the smaller one has a blue sheen to the body. Pics will be coming in the next week or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

CT male finally is doing his job of taking care of the eggs. At around noon on Friday September 10th he started embracing one of my CT females and actually put the eggs in the nest on his own. This was my 3rd attempt with him. On the first 2 attempts he ate all of the eggs. They are currently hatching as we speak. This is my 5th attempt at spawning Bettas and only the first 1 has had any success. (2 survivors) This attempt is just to get him to figure out what his job is. He is working away trying to keep putting the ones that fall out of the bubble nest back into it. He is keeping really busy as they are starting to drop faster than he can pick them up. My GF and I are hoping that we can keep more alive this time, and end up with some to sell/part with. It looks like it might be a small spawn as both parents are rather young. I will be keeping this post updated with the progress of each spawn that I have. I hope to have good news about this spawn over the couple of months. :D

Update on Spawn 1:

There apears to be 1 female from this spawn. :D I am unable to sex the other survivor yet. :( I will post on that as soon as I can.

I hope to have some pics of the young ones up soon for you Smokey. I will be trying to post a couple of pics of the tanks that I have setup. 1 of my Female Betta, Zebra Danio tank and my Female Guppy Tank(All Prego). (I don't Have any male Guppies at the moment :( )

Thanks Smokey, I will be sure to keep everyone posted on this.

Feeding:

4 days after they hatch I start them on Infusoria then Algae seems to also help them. After about 1 week they get Nutrafin Fry food and frozen BBS. That's just my way of doing it since I haven't been able to get my hands on any Vinegar eel or Microworm Cultures. You should feed them 4-5 times a day in smaller quantities and make sure that you do a 10-15% W/C every day or 2 for the first couple of weeks. At around 3 weeks you can start larger water changes every couple of days to reduce the Growth stunting hormones in the water that they emit to help them survive their siblings.

I have read that it is best to give them Live Vinegar Eels after the first 4 Days then at the 1 week mark give them the microworms and when ever they are large enough you start including BBS in their diet. Just make sure that they get a varied diet once you start the BBS as there have been reports of it causing Swim Bladder problems from feeding just BBS once you start.

I will be trying to get some pics posted this week. (They biggest problem that I will have with the pics is a poor Digital Cam.)