Digital Timers Not Workable?

My3kidsfather

I have bought two timers to replace my mechanical timer that has gone caput. Both are probably from the same assembly line as they have identical instructions and controls, and exactly the same battery installed for the clock. Both have been initiallized and programed and do not work at all. What is it with these things? I can hear the electric switch working as I repeatedly push the mode switch thru off, on, auto and random. It only works in on, not auto within the programed times. On is flat on no program followed. Anyone know what to do?

A lot of times it has to go through a full on/off cycle for it to figure out what position it's supposed to be in the AUTO setting. Just let it go for a day, and it should be good to go.

i had the same issues with a few of my digital timers where they seem to forget what to do when a trigger time occurs. And it's not just for my tank. I got so tired of their unreliability over time and I reverted to the mechanical ones. Same goes for my Christmas lights.

I have one that does that. Just a cheap white one from HD or Rona or someplace. On/off/auto and the auto never works the day I set it unless I set it before the lights are supposed to come on. Try setting it to come on a few minutes in the future and see if it works. If so, set it normally and check it the next day.

Just in case, make sure you are in the proper outlets. I believe one side is switched (aka, always on unless you flip the red power switch) and the other is timed.

Edited by jcgd

So it never occured to me that the timer needed to move into the set times in order to work in auto.. but you are right. In order for the auto setting to work the start time must be in the future, where the timer moves from before the time setting to into the timer setting- ex. timer set for 9:00 am to 10:00 am, current time is 8:55 am. If current time is within the timer setting it will wait until the next cycle. Thank you for your solution.