Seachem Purigen Questions

colorstay

I purchased a Seachem Purigen tonight along with the bag for it. I bought this thing hoping it would clear up the tannin released by my mopani wood. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, does anyone know how long it'll take for the thing to start clearing up the water? Thanks!!

It will clear up the not the tannin but tanic acid...but yes still the color. I have personal experience with purigen and tanic acid. It should help clear the water of tanic acid within a day or two depending on tank size with my past experience. It would have been best to let the wood soak in a pail for a couple weeks changing the water a few times.

I purchased a Seachem Purigen tonight along with the bag for it. I bought this thing hoping it would clear up the tannin released by my mopani wood. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, does anyone know how long it'll take for the thing to start clearing up the water? Thanks!!

Good question colorstay. The folks at Seachem address this on their discussion board. The whole thread is a good read, but note their refrain dated 07-18-2012, 16:46.

Thanks for the reply guys. I have been soaking the wood in water for a week already, and there was barely any visible tannin. As soon as I placed it in the tank, tannin showed up right away.

Yup. Maybe your tank temp is teasing out more tannins.

I put tank wood on a slow boil all day; letting it soak over night to see how the water looks after morning coffee.