Wipe Out. All Fish Dead, High Nitrites Have No Idea What Happened.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Aquarium Illusions tested it last night they got the same as my test that I did earlier yesterday afternoon. Zero ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, everything else normal. I picked up a copper test but haven't done it yet. Meanwhile, the tank is like milk and now all my mushroom coral has completely disintegrated and most of the other coral look pissed off. I picked up some foam that's supposed to clear heavy metals etc so we'll see what happens over the next few days I guess. The good news is they don't think I'll have to start all from scratch with new sand or live rock.

they don't think I'll have to start all from scratch with new sand or live rock.

After this event is over I'd be very cautious of throwing in anything newly bought into the tank. Let it run as a basic SW tank for a month or two without many inhabitants and let the beneficial bacteria take a very good hold.

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. It's still hooped, very milky but no ammonia, no nitrites. Smells a bit...off today. Got the ten gal set up just bringing up the salinity so I can stick some of the coral that is still trying to survive in it. Worth a shot anyway. The guys at aquarium illusions are stumped, the fish tech (helps me fix my system at work) came in today and I bounced ideas off him and he didn't really know what to tell me either. We're thinking heavy metals, but don't know if it was the supplement or something else. He suggested that I never use tap water ever, which is do-able since my tank is small, just a pain in the butt. Aquarium Illusions said that my sand and liverock will be fine to use once all this is over, just to give it some time. I did another water change tonight since it smelled a bit odd when I got home, used RO water to refill. Aquarium Illusions sold me a pad that absorbs heavy metals and other impurities to stick in my filter so I'm hoping it starts to clear a bit soon.

What should I add when it eventually does get better? I originally cycled it with mollies that I converted over. Probably should do that again?

Do the rescue transplant and see what happens.

I'd think adding live rock/sand to a brand new sterile environment would be best. I'd say skip the mollies and go for sw hermits or crabs AFTER your cycle is complete. I had seen over in Calgary @ Pieces each something like $3 maybe you know cheaper in Edmonton.

Let the tank cycle for a couple good lomg weeks with live rock and sand then throw a couple crabs as they are quite hardy.

I'd always be worried since the problem isn't truly diagnosed to reuse the rock and sand...but if you do...start very slowly and don't even think about corals for a while.

Edited by ckmullin

The thing that really really scares me, what if I get this all fixed, everything thriving again and this happens again. Has this happened to anyone else?

Really? Why?

Also, would it matter now? There's nothing living in there right now. Water is stabilized it appears but even the coraline algae on the live rock looks lack luster so I think my "live" rock is dead rock. Also I'm suddenly plagued by cyano bacteria in both the main tank and the quarantine with the somewhat living coral in it.

i have a small skimmer on there, it's one intended for a 30 gal nano cube but I'm not really sure how well it's working. The filter outlet has two adjustable "jets", I have one pointed down toward the closest wall and the other is toward the surface. I also have a small powerhead that is on the other side of the tank. I don't think there are any dead spots, it's a small column style tank so I think there's good flow everywhere. If the pH was dropping at night and affecting the tank would it still be doing that without anything alive in there?

Also, any advice about my live rock. Is it basically dead rock now you think? I'm also getting cyano bacteria in both tanks and haven't seen that until now.

edit: actually the more I read the more it looks like very darkly coloured diatoms. It's not as bright as the pictures for cyano bacteria.

Edited by kindasleepy