Peat In The Tank?

jamesbarr

Hello all,

As usual, Im exploring the wide world of the au naturel.

I have been reading about people using peat moss in their tanks to lower pH. Apparently Iron can become unavailable to plants if the pH of the water is to high.

First off, is anyone doing this? And secondly, what kind of precautions would you recommend for someone trying this method? In particular Im interested in putting it in a filter, or hanging in the tank in a nylon.

Any experience with this approach would be nice to hear about.

Thanks again for letting me learn from you.

James

I've done it and tested with it.

A big reason is why use it?! What size tank? If your concerned about iron and ph think nothing of it for our hobby. With any sort of 'additive' as what I'll call it...keep up with it or you'll find one day your ph back up where you want. Hanging on the back in a bag won't have a big effect that you might be after throw it in a bag inside a filter so you have good water flow. Don't forget if you use this expect the green tea look to your tank! If you try to remove the tea look, you'll remove the tanic acid. The tannic acid in the peat is what lowers the ph. If your concerned about ph and iron in a planted tank I'd suggest to look @ the co2 gas method. It'll help ph, help carbon level and be great for your plants.

If you had any other specific I'll be glad to help.

Another method is to add acid buffer. Seachem produces two types of acid buffers: phosphor-based for non-planted tanks and another one for planted tanks. A 600 gram bottle is $12-18. To lower pH down to 6.5 and KH down to 2, you will need about 1 gram per gallon. A cheaper option is to use 10% sulfuric acid. You can buy this acid in auto parts shop and dilute as required (but be very careful, use gloves and glasses and never pour water into concentrated acid, only acid into water)