Hydra In My Bn Tank

AJanzen

So... picked up 5 BN's from Harold today and when I got home put them in a 10 gallon I had previously used for my RCS. The tanks been sitting empty for a while (stripped of all plants and shrimp) and just been sitting with the substrate and some random snails in it. I had done a water change out, put in a sponge filter and added some (brand new) malaysian driftwood. After I got the plecos acclimated and turned the light on, lo and behold hydra on the glass. My question is what's the potential problem here? Don't think they're going to be able to hurt the BN's but I'd still like to get rid of them. I've heard spixi snails do a good clean up on the little buggers, but will the BN's just take care of them on their own? I'd eventually like to breed my BN's once they get a little bigger and definitely don't want to be battling hydras at the same time.

On a side not, the 10G won't be their permanent home. Just a place to chill out for the next few weeks until I set up my empty 55G for them. Was kinda hoping to use the ten for fry eventually though.

A Spixis or two will take care of the problem for you, but they hydra won't bug your BNs at all. and there's a good chance they'll go away on their own if you aren't overfeeding.

I probably have a few at work... once they eat all the hydra, they tend to go after plants. I was breeding them, but since they mowed down all the moss in that tank, I'm not favoring them much. If you want to swing by the Mall and pick a couple up (or an egg mass...) you're welcome to.

I have sphixis in my 90g heavily planted tank, and don't have a problem unless the snail population gets fairly large (aka. more than 1 snail per 2 gallons). They prefer dead plant leaves over the live ones and they have their hands full with that and whatever leftover food hits the bottom.

What kind of moss was it Jason? All I have is java moss and some sort of native moss, while they absolutely love to lay eggs in it, I have never seen them so much as nibble on it.

My ramshorn snails put more holes in my plants than my sphixis do.

I was WAY over the 1/2gal limit, and they mowed whatever moss I have in there - it's a mix of Java, spike and Christmas.

Sounds like spixis are my answer here, no plants in the tank yet anyways, just hidey holes and driftwood. Still baffled where they came from though. Never saw one when the tank was teeming with RCS and they show up now? Is it possible the shrimp were keeping them under control while the hydras were still small? I've just always heard that the hydras can eat juvie shrimp, not the other way around.