Alder Bud Filteration?

CatWhat

I have seen mention of using Alder Bush Buds for filtration when raising fry or preventing eggs from fungus. But I'm not able to find much info on this method, so I am just wondering if anyone here has used this method or know much about it. Thanks.

Here are a couple of pics of what I call Alder Bush Buds:

2013-03-03163835_zps3064341e.jpg

2013-03-03163827_zpsb8003085.jpg

Yup That's it, I use 1 per gallon, will change the ph and the colour of the water to yellow. While I have had no problems with fungus I do not know if they are more effective than other methods. I also keep 3-4 in a 10 gallon for the fry and they stay healthy. I heard to replace them every month or so.

If you have them readily available near your house I would love to buy a bunch from you. I don't think they grow inAlberta.

Also the only place I can find them is at Angelfish.com.

John

If they are the buds you are looking for, there is always a good few of them in my area. Now that I know they are actually used for this purpose I will defiantly collect some and let them dry for future use. I don't see a problem sending some out to you either.