Freshwater Fish Stores In Los Angeles And San Diego

Znaika

Are you driving or flying?

Will you have a vehicle at your destination? I'm sure public transit exists but with cities that huge I don't think I'd want to try exploring for aquarium shops without a car and a GPS, especially the GPS.

I can post a list of more shops but right now I'm just listing the places we actually visited with one exception.

Los Angeles Area:

The Aquarium in Culver City is pretty cool, decent dry goods stock.

Petco in Santa Monica is nice and has some pretty fun store brand items, much cleaner and better stocked than the other Petco locations we visited.

7 Seas (down by the Iowa Battleship museum) near Long Beach is ok, great stock on tanks and dry goods.

Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica gets good reviews but we didn't make it there.

San Diego:

The only place we visited in San Diego was Aquatic Warehouse and honestly, it was the star of the trip for me. It's a small warehouse stuffed full of fish stuff, how can you not like it.

They have Mr.Aqua tanks, Some ADA stuff, Finnex lights, tons of neat toys we just don't ever get up here.

I am actually contemplating to give it a try. I am less concerned about border control; I am more concerned about the fact that it is cold in a luggage compartment plus I will have to change flights in Seattle. So I will need a Styrofoam container and some heating pads, which may not be readily available in the store. Besides, after factoring in the time between the purchase and the flight, overall duration may simply become prohibitive.

There's a lfs by old town in San Diego that's good and it's also walking distance from a Petsmart and Petco.Haven't checked out LA but there's not much in long beach. As for heat packs, you should be okay without them at this time of year. Also use a small cooler(good for a six pack). They're great as you can use them as a temporary tank and they fit in luggage awesome. Also breathing bags come in quite handy too. Have a great time!!

I wouldn't bother bringing back livestock, in my travels I didn't see anything that couldn't be found or ordered from some of our awesome LFS in Edmonton or Calgary, compared with some of the places I've visited we really are gifted with decent LFS.

The stuff that glazed my eyes over was the ADA/Do Aqua/Mr.Aqua/acrylic tanks, the Petco 6.6 gallon long (awesome tank), the Finnex LED lights, the CO2 equipment, the filtration glassware, the ferts and substrates... a whole new world of dry goods that just doesn't exist up here or is available at much lower cost.