Update on my tank

Milan

After 2 days of increasing the potassium dosage, although it's a little premature to judge, the plants seem to be accelerating their growth again. In addition, I'm adding vinegar to lower the pH to desireable 6.8-7.0. KH is 6.1 and NO3 and PO4 remain the same, 5.0 and 1.0. Expecting the last two to drop soon ..

Here is the photo :

100_0914.jpg

Milan, that tank is looking really good. I believe you also wanted some help ID'ing some of the plants in your tank.

Also I use a Fertilizer Calculator by Chuk Gadd. I will post his website for you so that you can download his calculator. This is where I have been getting my volumes from for dosing and building my stock solutions.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

Edited by Garhan

OK, last night I added more lights. I had an old 18W stock fixture, which now joined the existing 65W PC. This brings it up to 2.86 W/g. Not that I need any faster growth, but hey ... let's try and see what happens ... ;)

Another thing ... I have not done any water change for the last 10 days, and I'm little concerned about the Magnesium level in the tank. So far I was relying on water changes as a source of Mg, but I may now consider adding some Epsom salt.

Am I on the right track ...?

Water status:

pH = 7.0-7.1

KH = 6.1

NO3 = 5.0 - 6.0

PO4 = 0.5 - 0.7 (declined!)

Plants status:

Growth normal, no progression of K deficiency signs since increased dosage of K2SO4

Algae:

Almost nonexistent, except for some thread algae, like strands of wool, few inches long, attached to leaves, stems. Easily removed by a toothbrush ... I think I read somewhere, they suggest excess of Fe.

Fish:

Happy! 6-7 new platys (now ~1/2" long) survived since they were born and now enjoying the community ...

Other:

Tiny little snails ... don't grow bigger than 1/8", brown, round spiral shell. No visible damage ...

Edited by Milan