Residential Wood Framed Floors And Aquarium Weights

Residential Wood Framed Floors and Aquarium Weights

" One of the questions that is inevitably asked in every aquarium chat room, newsgroup and bulletin board is "just how large an aquarium can my floor support." Then the answers follow from people who usually use basically correct structural principles to come to often incorrect conclusions. Unfortunately, I then jump into the fray and try to explain in just a few words, what cannot possibly be explained in just a few words. So the result is that no one fully understands my explanation, since it seems contrary to his or her experience. So here is the long winded explanation from some one (me) that has been working as a structural engineer since 1976. "

... continued...

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

that was an intresting read, but I am curios as to what specs the Canadian home is built too, as the link was discussing the US codes? Because my buddy came over looked at my floor 2x10" 16" on center 12' span, looked at the 3 beams 2x10"x3 suported on 2 steal poles and said quote " go a head and put that 240 in there you will have no problem what so ever" now the wall I am putting it in front of is the load bearing wall, I will be spanning 8 feet the lenght of said wall, I even asked if I should add extra support so the front of the tanks weight will be held by another beam and 2 post, and he said you could but it is really not needed, so my question is this who is right? So now I am think maybe I should add that extra beam and poles, because my figuring is the tank with all the water is going to be around 1900-2000 lbs.

that was an intresting read, but I am curios as to what specs the Canadian home is built too, as the link was discussing the US codes? Because my buddy came over looked at my floor 2x10" 16" on center 12' span, looked at the 3 beams 2x10"x3 suported on 2 steal poles and said quote " go a head and put that 240 in there you will have no problem what so ever" now the wall I am putting it in front of is the load bearing wall, I will be spanning 8 feet the lenght of said wall, I even asked if I should add extra support so the front of the tanks weight will be held by another beam and 2 post, and he said you could but it is really not needed, so my question is this who is right? So now I am think maybe I should add that extra beam and poles, because my figuring is the tank with all the water is going to be around 1900-2000 lbs.

Whois the url and you get:

Badmans tropical fish

Malden, Massachusetts 02148

United States

So I'm sure it's US details.

In regards to who is right...you are. As with anything I'd suggest take available information and make an informed choice. (extra framing is never a bad thing)