Gas Bubble Disease

SuperGuppyGirl

So staring at my tank trying to decide if I should do a water change (damn melt off) when I spotted this little guy. The tank isn't very old, around 2 weeks. I used a seeded sponge filter, and media from another tank to start it. Plants in from day one, a week using Stability with no fish in and a 30% WC every 3rd day, double doses of Prime (35G tank 2 capfuls). No air bar in as I figured with the Hob (AC50) and the sponge were enough. Inhabitants (in my signature 35G) added slowly so not to shock the system and readings before adding were 0,0, 20ppm but did do a 35% WC before adding the last of the fish.

Readings are as follows:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.2

Nitrate 5

Kh 71.6ppm 4 dKh

Ph 7.2

post-5607-0-65610000-1365304637_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-84165500-1365304707_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-04062400-1365304727_thumb.jpg

I should mention the tank currently sits at 78F, with the water change it dropped to 74/76F range (sticker readings) but as the fish are all cool water species didn't think it was that bad. Anyone know how to fix this ? All I can find net wise is add more aeration but after doing so, noticed this morning a few of the bubbles had popped. The Cory seems fine with just a bit more rapid breathing but is still eating and active, adding some Pima/melafix to hopefully calm him.

With a nitrite reading of any sort do a water change. The tank hasn't cycled yet. Squish in another sponge from another tank or two.

I bounce fish into new tanks with brand new filters all the time, just squish all the mulm into the tank from an old tank. Also dont feed him as this will just add to the water quality problem you have. It'll look like hell for a day, just WC the following day.
Lower your temp as well. As temperature goes up oxygen goes down. He is far more comfy at 74ish.
Good luck.

Edited by Jayba