SAEs in the community tank

Oneiroid

I understand that SAEs are very popular in african cichlid tanks, but can they be kept with other kinds of fish which are not so aggressive? SA dwarf cichlids, barbs, tetras, corys, loaches etc... I have heard that if you keep the SAEs in small groups they will keep eachother occupied and not bother other species, is this true? I am looking for something that will help keep the tougher algae (which otocinclus do not take care of) under control. The tank I am thinking of adding these to is 33 gallons and heavily planted. The tank does not have a CO2 injector; I know CO2 typically helps with algae, but this tank does not require it otherwise.

:well:

I had three of them introduced recently in my 29 g community. From what I read about them, they are peaceful until they grow up, when they may become aggressive toward their own species. However, my experience was somewhat different. One of them harassed all other fish, so I had to take it back to the LFS. With remaining two, harmony in the community is back again ...

Just as a remainder, if you are getting some of them, make sure they are true SAEs, since there are fakes easily mistaken for true ones, and their social behavior does not fit the above description ...

Here is the link to help you with ID-ing ...

Algae Eating Fish

I have 1 SAE in my 58g planted tank have never had a problem with it. Now that its adult it doesn't eat too much algae anymore. If you are getting it for algae control they are great at keeping the hair algaes down but dont' do much for the green slimy algaes taht tend to cover the glass and rocks.

I"d say it should be alright if you add some to your community tank. MIne never caused problems(i have mine in with an angel and tetras). Just make sure you are getting the true SAE and not flying foxes or CAE

As long as you get the true SAE, you should'nt have any problems.

I've got 2 (3") in my 50 with Neons, White Clouds, Dwarf Gouramis, Otos,and Corys.

2 (4") in the 30 with Rams, Otos and Corys. 1 (1.5") in the 20 with Neons, White Clouds, Otos, Corys and a Dwarf Puffer.

Al;most forgot also a pleco in each tank.

The 2 4" were in the 20 with the DP. It was funny to see this little 3/4" fish bossing those two around.

Ok, the SAE seems to be working out really well in the community tank. He is pretty chummy and doesn't seem to offend any of the other fish. However, I have noticed some odd behavior from him. Until I added in some otocinclus, he never appeared to be picking at algae. Now he goes at it quite a bit - it was almost as though the otos taught him how. His change in behavior was *that* abrupt. There is something else that is odd too... he won't touch the hair algae (which is why he is in there in the first place). He seems to like flake food quite a bit though, and will intercept flakes floating down with the group of rasboras. Is my SAE simply slow or "challenged" in some way? Is he having a fishy identity crisis? Does he have low self-esteem? He is difinitely a true SAE, I am certain of that. I am thinking that he might need a friend, but is it ok to have two in a 33g tank?

I'm confused. Or he's confused. I guess either way, I'm still confused.

/edit

Yes, I am still confused. Had to change the actual number of gallons in the tank.

Edited by xerxes

Ok, the SAE seems to be working out really well in the community tank. He is pretty chummy and doesn't seem to offend any of the other fish. However, I have noticed some odd behavior from him. Until I added in some otocinclus, he never appeared to be picking at algae. Now he goes at it quite a bit - it was almost as though the otos taught him how. His change in behavior was *that* abrupt. There is something else that is odd too... he won't touch the hair algae (which is why he is in there in the first place). He seems to like flake food quite a bit though, and will intercept flakes floating down with the group of rasboras. Is my SAE simply slow or "challenged" in some way? Is he having a fishy identity crisis? Does he have low self-esteem? He is difinitely a true SAE, I am certain of that. I am thinking that he might need a friend, but is it ok to have two in a 33g tank?

I'm confused. Or he's confused. I guess either way, I'm still confused.

/edit

Yes, I am still confused. Had to change the actual number of gallons in the tank.

It's normal behavior. They'll usually go for the easiest food source. If flakes are readily available, he'll go for that. As far as adding another to your tank, again no problems there they usually do better in pairs and seem to compete more for the algae. ( depending how many other fish you have in the tank(bioload)) They usually grow like crazy until they reach around 3" then growth slows down.

As far as hair algae, from what I observed with mine, they'll will not touch the long stringy stuff but will feast on the shorter algae (1/8-1/4")

I've read that the Florida Flagfish will eat the long stuff but they can be quite agressive towards other fish. Unfortunatly no experience with these.

For the long stuff, manual removal is usually the best option.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Thanks for the input andyg. I will put another on in and see what happens!

Are there any other comments on this issue? I would very much like to find a solution to hair algae in heavily planted and lit community tanks. The stuff is driving me crazy... I am pulling it out every day.

(I don't know if this thread is leaning more towards being in the Planted Tank forum, but I am looking for a solution for a community tank...)

Unfortunately, I'd like to keep all the plants in my tank alive. If I recall correctly, a mystery snail would have a feast in a planted tank. So not really an option for me :rolleyes:

Also, the SAE was introduced into the tank when everything was clean to begin with! He needs Special Ed.

Edited by xerxes