What To Do ?

bet

have a 130 gal tank - had discus in it for about 3 1/2 years - discus got sick(don"t know what from - never did figure it out) - treated for parasites, etc but they all died - the tank has sat empty for about 10 months - have several angels that will soon be big enough to be moved to larger quarters - what to do (suggestions in regards to cleaning/sterilizing) before refilling and cycling and eventually putting angels in - all help is more than appreciated.

Same thing happened to me. The tank sat empty for about 6 months. I took everything out and washed the gravel and scrubbed the rocks with fully chlorinated water. Washed the walls of the tank down with a salt rub just to remove the grunge. Rinsed and dumped several times. Threw out the bio media in the filter. Soaked my plants for 2 days in chlorinated water on web advice but they all melted, just started to come back from the rhizomes (wouldn't do that again). Ran the tank for a week with chlorinated water then dumped again and put in primed water and a filter squeeze. Tank has been running for a month now with guppies before I put in the expensive fish. All seems well.

Funny thing is that the guppies were just to test the tank but I have found I really like them.

Theresa

Other thing I've heard mention is (if you are able to setup the tank atm) to fully fill it with bleach added in and let it stand for a day. Afterwards empty and air dry. When ready to recommission it, a rinse and all should be well.

You'd have to dig as to an appropriate amount of bleach, cannot think of the amount off hand sorry.

cheers,

Antonio

Sorry to hear about your discus.

I recently cleaned my 90 gal storage tank with bleach. adding 25ml of household bleach(6%) created a 4ppm solution. 4ppm is what is used in municipal water where chlorine is still used. A single double dose of prime is able to remove 6ppm chlorine. check out the links for the formulas you will need to figure out how much bleach to add in order to stay safe.

http://delloyd.50megs.com/ppm.html

The website is not a light read, but everything you need is right there. Except of coarse the brain in your head.