Holding Question

N_GA

My tank was supposed to be am all male tank but we bought most fish as juveniles so we ended up getting a female. The fish in question was supposed to be a sulpher head and we do have a confirmed male sulpher head in the tank but I'm not positive that's who she bread with. Anyway on to my question. I first noticed her holding last Tuesday and her jaw was pretty swollen then, now it seems to be a lot smaller though. Is it possible that she just spit out some of the eggs? She's still not eating when I feed the others and is keeping her mouth pretty much closed all the time. I was also wondering if anyone can confirm that she is a sulpher head female?

8694975732_97a7a3f528.jpg

image by ncritch30, on Flickr

Good luck trying to confirm female peacock species. They all look the same, especially if not fully grown. If she has cross bred then do the hobby a favour and don't keep the fry. There are far too many hybrids in the hobby and every single one of them contributes to the destruction of a pure species, which we are losing far too quickly in the wild. If you really want to get into breeding give your fish a species tank and let nature take it's course.

As for her not holding all the eggs it often takes several spawns before the mom gets it right. From my experience usually by the 3rd spawning the female seems to produce a good number of fry. Practice makes perfect I guess.

:beer:

Cheers

Thanks for the response. I was just planning on letting her spit in the tank and then I was going to trade her in. if one of the fry survived I'd keep it in my tank but I'm guessing none will.

Thanks for the response. I was just planning on letting her spit in the tank and then I was going to trade her in. if one of the fry survived I'd keep it in my tank but I'm guessing none will.

yeah, I thought that too...I now have more fry then adults in my 75. Seem to find new little guys constantly...lol

• 1 month later...