Substrate For Rays

koietc

setting up a 180 gal for a couple of rays. this is a temporary tank until i convert a koi tub over & the rays are a little larger. i have no rays yet but want to set it up right, what is most commonly used as a substrate?

Hmm I thought I replied to this yesterday but now I don't see my post...

Ok we'll in short. Sand is good but watch the depth with smaller rays. You can get ammonia build (hot spots) up in the sand that will burn your rays. This doesn't happen with larger rays as the move the sand around all the time. In my two grow out tanks I have no substrate but I have a couple of inches in my 450 gallon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used a small round stone for substrate. Almost a sand but no dust floating in the water column. With baby rays i agree clear glass is way easier for feeding. I have always found sand destroy's my equipment and with out enough water movement it gets stuck to the slime coat on the backs of my rays. My rays never had a problem burrying them selves in the very small rocks either. Just an idea, others i find really love the sand, i have just had bad experiences my self.

• 4 weeks later...

I now have had my 3 new rays for almost 2 weeks. I skipped the aquarium idea & went straight to a 450 gal tub. it was black & I quickly purchased & set up a 500 gal blue tub. I am using no substrate at all & I like that I can see all the waste & the rays seem very comfortable. they are eating 12 smelts & a handful of shrimp each day so i'm glad I can watch my rays & water without any hidden concerns.