Hap. Ruby Greens Have Stopped Breeding. Why?

Bandi

I have had ruby greens now for about four years now and they have always proven to be a very prolific species for me. I have raised hundreds of them. But my current breeding group, consisting of two males and four females have not spawned in over 8 months. I have tried various things, like moving them to entirely new tanks, longer ones, deepers ones, change temperature, varied diet etc.

Right now they are in species only tank, except for a few Bristol nose plecos, currently a 50 gallon with a fluval 404 and a sponge filter on the other end. Bare bottom tank with rocks and tunnels and a few tall fake plants.

The females are all mature, at least 2-3 years of age. I am wondering if they are too old? I have never seen them holding at all in the past 8 months or so.

The dominant male is gorgeous and showing great color, he is active and seems to be attempting courtship.

I feed NLS and spirulina flakes. Temp of water is usually about 78 with cold water changes in hopes of inducing spawning. I have also tried warmer temperatures of about 84 with cold water changes.

Can anyone offer any insight into why they are not breeding and how I can change this?

Edited by Bandi

A few variables that come to mind are very similar to humans.

-Your dominant male has aged and no longer has lead in the pencil.

-Females are tired of him and not interested in getting busy. Is the dominant female preventing the sub dominant female from breeding?

-I would separate the males and females and add the sub domaininant male in after a plumping period for the females. Break the females into 2 groups as well.

After all the dominants are the ones to breed and a swutch of who is the tank boss is in order possibly. Keep switching it up and see what happens.

I have used a secret secret concoction to induce egg production in plecos before. Shoot me a text and I'll tell you about it.

I wouldn't think that the fish are too old to breed. They maybe just dont want to

Thanks jayba, separating the males and females is one thing I haven't tried, the thought crossed my mind but i dismissed it because with victorians I have never had to in the past. But i will certainly give it a go. I'll also text you for your secret recipe.

I would never have thought that a cool water change would trigger Haps to breed?

Lake Vic is a very large body of water that keeps the temp steady, no?

J

I have tried everything. Warm water, cool water. You name it

You could try starving them for a couple weeks, I have a few fat female vics that will not breed either and my theory is that the eggs are no good in their bellies ( calcified or something like that ). By starving them I'm thinking the females will absorb the eggs back as food, maybe feed tiny amounts of daphnia to keep the metabolism pumping and their plumbing working. Once they are skinny you could recondition them into spawning shape to get fresh eggs. No scientific back up here, just my theory ha ha.

I also don't recommend separating the sexes for very long with Victorians as the dominant female will turn into a male rather quickly.