Best Lamp Choice For Guppies?

Tigs

Hi there, so I finally received my shipment of show guppies ;) Under the standard flourescent lights I have on

they don't show very nicely ;) The red snakeskins look wicked enough, but the greens and blues are pretty washed out. The yellows come through nicely.

My question:

is there a specific T8 lamp that folks would recommend to show their colours better?

thanks in advance.

PS, under flash photography the blues & green show up well enough.

Antonio

For blues and greens, aim for a bit higher color temp - say 10,000K. A mix of 10,000K and 6500-7500K would be my first shot.

kk will go bulb shopping soon, or might try a small T5 I have kicking around see what it has in it.

btw they do look pretty darn good Jason. I ended up getting the following.

Greens

1/2 black sky blues

1/2 black blues

purple snakeskins

russian red snakeskins

blue grass

and 1/2 black yellows

cheers,

Antonio

Think you hit the nail on the head Jason. I tried an older T5 2 footer out, has a 10K and 6K or some such in it. That did wonders for showing their colours. I then tried a regular flourescent but 'full spectrum" not sure the temp on that. It also showed their colours off better but not nearly as well as the T5 lamps. Looks like I get to go lamp shopping :)

cheers,

Antonio