Aqua Clear Filters, Evaporation And Holidays

Jayba

Reading another post on here got me thinking of a holiday situation from a couple years ago . I had an Aqua clear filter running on a 20 gallon tank wwith a few L-199 plecos awaiting transport to Edmonton for Jvision.

MY mother in law came by every other day to lightly feed my fish over the two weeks we were gone.

The water in this tank had evaporated so that the water was sitting about 2 inches lower than normal.

Sometime during the second week the power went out and the filter was unable to restart. Long story short, as soon as I walked in the door of the house I could smell the rotting tank.

I had the filter set so that it moved the maximum amount of water. I have since discovered these filters will draw water up further when on the setting that has reduced water volume or throughput.

Just wanted to share as we all head out for holidays it may be worth considering.

Cheers

I'd be curious to see what other people think, but I've come home from work after a power outage and heard my HOBs choking on air. Luckily, I've always had a back up filter on each tank when it's happened. I've actually started taking HOBS out of my tanks, and using canisters and/or sponges. I'm about to take my last HOB (Fluval C3) off my 75G....I find it incredibly loud, and getting harder and harder to start after PWC anyways. That tank still has a Fluval 205 and an Eheim 2217. My 55G has a sponge and Eheim 2215, and my 10G has just a sponge.

For myself, I've made the switch away from hob's to... Well anything else! Internal, canister, sponge they're all better and quieter than hob's and you'll never see one choking on air after a power outage.

Only running aqua-clears on 2 x 20g right now.(others switched to canisters)as for evaporation a tight fitting glass top makes a big difference.The glass top tank with single bright LED is fine between WC other requires topping up half way through the week.I keep both tanks full so haven't experienced any restart problems after power failures,fingers crossed but will converting to canisters just to be sure.