rwg814

I have just started a 120g ADA I use a 20lb bottle of CO2 but that might be over kill. Did you look at any diy co2 setups?

I like ADA Amazonia but don't forget about the 5 elements and Power sand

Eheim for sure. Real;y cant go wrong with Eheim.

I really like the LED lights these days plus a lot have built in moon lighting for night now. Aqueon led strip.

Use the ada glass aquarium if you like but stay away from their products especially substrate as it's way over priced.

for that size tank if you don't already have a co2 system to split off a line, use the painball or yeast method...(or metricide)

substrate - use a soil mix. I can help on that regard if wanted

filter - use some sort of SMALL canister as nothing huge is needed. HOB will detract from your look.

lights - i'm not even going to touch as there are just too many good options. people have their own personal preferences.

What is your budget btw?

I'm going to go against the grain here and say not to go with yeast method. It can be very difficult to keep your CO2 levels consistent using the yeast method. Yeast is dependent on may factors including temp, vitality of the yeast that you use, how much water, how much yeast, how much sugar, how clean your bottles are, did you remember to change the yeast mixtures, damn I can't remember if I changed it last time ;P ... I tried and ultimately ended up going pressurized. I have a 10lb cannister that I just set and let'r run. You can get a full setup for 200.00 with free shipping from J&L Aquatics. Well worth the investment and or saving up.

I think Meeiu is dosing excel/metricide in place of CO2.

Great! Another ADA fan :D

CO2: I don't use any so can't suggest you anything

Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Filter: Eheim canister

Lighting: Finnex Ray 2

Yea i think for the filter i will definitely go for Eheim filter!

I have just started a 120g ADA I use a 20lb bottle of CO2 but that might be over kill. Did you look at any diy co2 setups?

I like ADA Amazonia but don't forget about the 5 elements and Power sand

Eheim for sure. Real;y cant go wrong with Eheim.

I really like the LED lights these days plus a lot have built in moon lighting for night now. Aqueon led strip.

Yea i have looked into the DIY system and it seems like too much work for me : (

Use the ada glass aquarium if you like but stay away from their products especially substrate as it's way over priced.

for that size tank if you don't already have a co2 system to split off a line, use the painball or yeast method...(or metricide)

substrate - use a soil mix. I can help on that regard if wanted

filter - use some sort of SMALL canister as nothing huge is needed. HOB will detract from your look.

lights - i'm not even going to touch as there are just too many good options. people have their own personal preferences.

what do you mix for your soil mix?

What is your budget btw?

I'm going to go against the grain here and say not to go with yeast method. It can be very difficult to keep your CO2 levels consistent using the yeast method. Yeast is dependent on may factors including temp, vitality of the yeast that you use, how much water, how much yeast, how much sugar, how clean your bottles are, did you remember to change the yeast mixtures, damn I can't remember if I changed it last time ;P ... I tried and ultimately ended up going pressurized. I have a 10lb cannister that I just set and let'r run. You can get a full setup for 200.00 with free shipping from J&L Aquatics. Well worth the investment and or saving up.

I think Meeiu is dosing excel/metricide in place of CO2.

Do you think HC will thrive just by dosing excel?

Yes, to echo Caine's response; I would not bother with yeast. I used to do it and told myself that I wouldn't be lazy and change it every now and then. But in the end, it is just too troublesome, not constant, and no control. I just ended up reducing my lights and let everything grow slower.

Caine, you have been reading my journals haven't you? HAHA Yes I do dose Excel and I found it to be effective. However, I only dose about once every two-three weeks or so. So the main thing I have to deal with is the photo period. But lately, I have been very tempted to invest in a system from JL. So who knows, maybe I will have a cylinder soon...hehe

For substrate, I have used Seachem's, some DIY soil, and ADA. Ever since the switch to ADA, I can tell you it's good stuff. No hassel, easy to use, and smells gooood.... HAHA But if you are on a tight budget, DIY soil will grow your plants just as well.

Do you think HC will thrive just by dosing excel?

Yes it will thrive. If you check my ADA 40X27X30 Iwagumi journal, you can read all about it! I used DIY CO2 at first and then just switched to just Excel and HC grew thicker and greener. I think, for my case, the DIY method was pushing too much CO2 into the tank which actually suffocated the plant. Or it could of been pushing too little CO2 and not giving the plant enough food... either or, Excel worked 20x better.