Looking For Fix To Scratched Glass

IronChefItaly

I've had my tank for about 4 months now and near the early stages I accidentally caught a pebble of substrate in between the magnetic glass cleaner i use. It etched a pretty good scratch close to the top rim and i was curious if there is anything safe i could use to fill or hide the scratch? It is very close to the surface so during a typical water change the area is above the water level. Obviously any toxic substances are a no no.

Appreciate any advice!

Edited by IronChefItaly

I had fixed scratches in glass with products like vim and an angle grinder in the past but not with a running tank. Perhaps dry and clean that area very well, dab some 100% silicone over it to make sure it's in the scratch...let cure and then razor blade it even.

the magnetic glass cleaner ... etched a pretty good scratch close to the top rim ... is anything safe i could use to fill or hide the scratch?

Appreciate any advice!

If the scratch is significant, you'll have better results hiding the scratch than buffing it out. Anything you try will have consequence. So pick your poison. Here are a few ideas:

1. Ignore it.
  2. Replace the front panel.
  3. Spin the tank around to put the scratch to the back.
  4. Cover the scratch from the outside by adding an even border of paint or a strip of background along the rim.
  5. any combination of the above.

best of luck :(