Bolivian Ram Not Doing Well.

creekbottom

I have a Bolivian ram that is listless and disoriented. Can't swim upright, or maintain equilibrium. Honestly, looks drunk... is floating right now on it's side.

I've pulled it from the tank, but there are 3 other rams in the tank, they all look fine so far.

I'm not expecting it to live, but I'd like to know whats wrong with it.

Comes from a moderately planted tank, school of cardinal tetras. Water tests normal.

It sounds like swim bladder disease to me, could be from fighting or constipation. Try adding epsom salt to the water a bit and cranking up the heat abit, try feeding it some peas. Fingers crossed for your fish.

Thanks for the tips. It definitely looks like swim bladder disorder. The original ram died, now a second one is doing the same thing. I haven't fed in 2 days. I've isolated the second ram, am upping the temp and adding epsom salt, also trying peas.

I've also noticed that the gills look redder than normal.

I will second that, I have been keeping BR for over a decade and when their time comes, they always seem to get a swim bladder infection or they turn very dark and become lithargic and stop eating. It's usually in about 2 to 3 years after introduction to the tank. I have never been able to medicate back to health and once they become sick there seems to be a 100% mortality rate (from my experience).