Heater And Temperature Problems (Ich)

IronChefItaly

I'm in the middle of treating ich and i'm having issues keeping my tank at 28 degrees celsius. I have 3 methods of measuring temperature.

1) liquid crystal strip - says 25 degrees

2) floating alcohol based thermometer - says 25 degrees

3) the thermometer built into my heater - says 29 degrees

So i'm guessing my current heater which is a Marineland 150 watt (recommended up to 40 gallons) is out to lunch but i just bought and replaced my Fluval heater which was registering a temperature of 27 but my other two thermometers consistently display 3-4 degrees lower...

Causes?...

a) not enough water circulation around heater

b.) heaters are garbage

c) other two methods of temperature measurement are inaccurate

If anyone has good experience with a particular heater or an opinion / advice i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by IronChefItaly

The heater itself is displaying the temp it's at and you may just not have enough water circulation in the tank to spread the heat up to the desired temp could be the most likely possibility

• 3 weeks later...

Another option is to plug your heater into a thermostat (or temperature controller, as some prefer to call it). You set your heater at a higher temperature, and then your thermostat at the temperature you want to achieve. Your heater will run until the thermostat turns it off. The problem, I have heard, with heaters is that their temperature gauges are not as accurate as something like a thermostat.

Apart from that, in-line heaters are awesome.

Also, look into circulation in your entire tank. If your circulation is poor, you will have warm and cool spots.

• 1 month later...

Trust the 2 thermometers with the same reading, the "thermometers" that are built in to the heater are usually off. Try not to go crazy trying to find the exact temp between all of them, every thermometer has an accuracy +/- rating that is usually 1-2 degrees, so you may just being seeing the difference in accuracy.

....a man with 2 watches never knows what time it is... :)