120G Schooling Tank Lighting & C02 Questions

KimW

So I am planning on turning my 120G Tank into a community schooler once all the cichlids have found new homes and the tank has been given a good clean, substrate added and re-cycled.

First Question:

I am looking for lighting that would provide a decent light for plants, mainly mosses and other spreading ground cover at about a mid-light range. Without breaking the bank, and while still really making the fishies colours pop.

This will be my first planted tank so I am hoping someone has some decent advice. I am also on a VERY restricted budget with this tank!

Right now I am running one hood light standard housing which has a 24" flourescent

as well as one 36" Standard Flourescent

Both of hoods were rescued from old broken tanks (Like I said.....Tight Budget)

Tank Dimensions 26" High, 60" long, 18" deep

Second Question:

I am planning on using DIY C02 later on down the road. I have a feeling it will have to be a larger DIY system due to the size of the tank. (I do have plans to eventually ; After I can save the money, invest in an actual C02 system but that is a long way down the road)

For this size of tank what are the general recommendations for a DIY system.?

How many bottles?

How often would I have to change these out?

Bubbler opinions?

Best Method of delivery?

Etc Etc Etc.

Any And ALL advice is welcomed.

DIY on a 120 gal tank is not a feasible option. You'd need like 10 2l bottles and the cost of sugar and yeast would become exorbitant after a few months. I'd invest in a 10 lbs bottle of co2 this will last you a year. I can get you one for 120$ or a 20lbs for the same price. look on ebay for your diffuser and a regulator.

On the light front i would head down to gescan in the se and hit them up for some 56k bulbs. there about $3 a piece from them for a 48" so probably cheaper for your sizes. If your hoods are a t8 or t5 you can spend a little more and get some LED tubes that fit right in to the existing fixture. a little more up front buit you wont have to change the lamp for years.