Guppies

McTurtle

So, getting guppies to breed is easy, breeding guppies is more of a challenge...

I have two galaxy boys and I'd really like to get the line going, but I haven't found females. So I have 4 females of unknown lineage, 2 red tails, 2 blue tails, and we'll see how far I get. I have about 12 fry that are about 2 weeks old and have just moved into a 20 gallon. I have another 12 or so that were probably born last night and survived because I moved their older siblings out. My first batch of fry are going to be rehomed because the females were probably preggers when I brought them home. The second batch too, unless anybody happens to look like dad...

This is probably going to be hopeless, or at least a long slug, but I'm going to have fun trying it.

Anyone ever get a line out of fish store guppies?

I'm also looking for info on guppy genetics if anyone knows of a good source.

:D

Breeding them yourself to establish lines is a lot of fun for sure. I'd suggest you get some good stock to begin with, this is seldom the stock you find at the LPS. I know of another board member that is doing much the same

but found out that even after a few generations there was lots of culling to be done (deformaties).

If you start out with good stock, your focus would stay on what you want to do vs trying to regain strength in the line.

have fun,

Antonio

Visit GuppyDesigner.com for some great info on guppy color genetics. I bought 3 of his books and I like them all!