powerhead 802

ABwildrose

Everyone else is asking filter type questions so I will add mine. I have a powerhead 802 with a quickfilter attached. I bought it used and actually don't know what they are for really. I guess it basically creates water movement. For my own piece of mind...I would like to know if this thing is submersible or not. There isn't a line on it so I don't know. I am careful to keep the water level lower than I used to...just in case.

They are submersible but since Hagen covers their butts faster than the new guy in D-block they have a do not submerse beyond this line atleast the older models did. I use mine mainly for water polishing or to move debris up to my power filters in my rock tank. I have maintained fish healthily in tanks with them and sponge alone but like the quickfilter with a little added amrid in the inside tube. They can be mounted on an undergravel filter intake tube for better mechanical filtration and some allow for the quick filter to be added on to the output which works well this way.

My very favorite use for them over all although it stinks in planted or african tanks with fish that burrow is to use an under gravel filter and attach two powerheads one on each upright, the powerheads will need reverse flow or be modified and then add a reasonable power HOB filter in the middle. The powerheads push the debris up from the gravel and the HOB gathers it. This is filtration at it's highest degree, Using large diameter gravel on top of small often works to stop smaller cichlids that burrow.

Also using a bar fridge 25' of 1/2" tubing and a small powerhead you can create your own chiller for a cool, very cool $90.00-$100.00.

Hope you found a use for your powerhead now.

ABwildrose - the powerhead is 100% submersible. As are all powerheads!

These are excellant units. and VERY versitile.

The 802 powerhead is fairly powerful, capable of moving up to 400 gallons per hour, and can lift water ~5 feet.

Excellant for transfering water from a tank ... and ... filling a tank from a storage barrel. Just attach a ''hose'' to the output nozzel [ slip over the outflow nozzel ] and direct the water to where you want it to go. Hang onto the hose; you may be surprised at the output/pressure. :lol:

I have a 2'' diameter flex hose attached to one of mine. I use it to continiously pump water up to an overhead W/D filter, on a 100 gallon tall tank.

The quick filter attachment is designed to be filled with many types of media. Great for polishing water or continious use.

There may be an air attachement; attach a piece of airline tubing and the power head will ''draw in air'' and mix with the water output.

Hey...I don't need a pump now lol

There is or was some kind of air attachment. Either I can't figure out how to put it on...or it was broken....so I don't have it running.

Anyways...I am so glad it is submersible and I don't have to worry about it. Thanks!!

AB -

THROW THE PUMP INTO WATER AND TURN IT ON :o:o:o .

The air tubing attachment is usually on top of the output nozzel. It is just a small ''pipe'' thingy.

The powerheads are the most useful tool an aquarist can own !

They are ''WATER PUMPS''.

Same as in any canister, H.OT. filter, etc. Just different packageing .... B)

With any power head; a person can ''BUILD'' their own personal ''AQUATIC SYSTEM''.

Like the engine in a car - they supply the power/ability to mve water, at a high rate. The rest is up to you.

More to come in the DIY section.....