Is There Such Thing As "over Filtering"?

Ribber

I am building a 90 gallon planted tank with the intention of adding critters in the future. I like certain features of the Fluval FX6 but looking at the numbers, that is far more filter than would be required by my tank. Is moving that much water through a planted tank bad for the plants? Should I turn my sights to a unit more appropriately rated for my tank or will I be quite happy with this amazing filter and never be affected by the fact that there's some overkill in my system?

You need to consider plants do need some flow to move nutrient (and co2) however most plants do not want to live in a tidal zone with surges of water back and forth. I have a 75 gal fully planted to the hilt with last count 24 species and I run a fluval 305. I can easily get away with filter being maxed out by manufacture numbers on a 75 gal tank because my bioload of fish is just about non existent but a few endlers. Another thing to consider if you want a fully planted tank water flow will be reduced (can be reduced greatly from end to end of tank) by, well all the plants being in the way...so having a bit higher isn't that bad. One other thing that can be thought about is plumbing up 2 or 3 outflows as this will help reduce the full pressure of a single outflow. Now to contradict the above post, yes it is overkill to have a 925 gal flow in a 90 gal tank imo. If you were talking about a reef setup that is more what your looking for flow but in a powerhead. If I can offer any tips or advice I'd be happy to offer it. Always envious of someone setting up a new planted tank from scratch! :)

You will be fine with a fluvial FX6 in a 90gallon… with plants it is alway good to have some bioload or Ferts and CO2 and enough lighting to balance out things in the tank otherwise you will be fighting algae in short order.

Indeed, doing this correctly is my top priority. The next couple months will be spent collecting parts, with the filter being next on my list. I am trying to put together a thread with my "plan", maybe you will stumble upon it and offer up some experienced advice.