Blotchy Slime Coat, Cloudy Eye

herpetology!

Heyo,

I've had a very healthy and rapidly growing tank for months. I was stupid and bought some feeder from petsmart, as a food bonanza usually triggers some sort of growth. In this case, it is probably bacterial. My Rosy Barb, Synodontis and 4 Geophagus are all untouched, but my bichirs are infected (they ate all the feeds, durr.) The smaller of the two has the worse symptoms, but yah a cloudy eye appeared today. I thought the blotchy slime coats were from the normal bichir nipping bullshit that happens when they are courting, as they are doing all the normal courting behaviours and do so a lot more when I feed more food, but it turns out it's probably an infection of some sort.

So, symptoms:

Shy, reclusive smaller bichir suddenly (was once the more active of the two)

blotchy slime coat

cloudy eye

A bit of heavy gill use

Treatments so far:

two 25% water changes in the last 3 days

a change of some of the filter media (not all of it though, don't want to crash the system!)

Aquarium Salt

I am thinking probably something like Metroplex or Kanaplex, but just lookin for any thoughts before I grab some meds tomorrow afternoon! I'm not terribly worried as the larger of the two has had a similar issue almost a year ago and it turned out to be bacterial.

So much for feeding feeders to them...they eat cichlid food like beasts, I have no idea what I was thinking. Ugh. The draw of watching them hunt is super cool!

Thanks!

Edited by herpetology!

If they're otherwise healthy, you'll probably be able to get away with a very large WC, followed by the instructed dose of Melafix and/or Pimafix, followed by another very large WC. For the duration crank up the aeration - increased O2 will help boost the immune system in your fish.

That's what I would do; however, if you feek more comfortable doing what you did last time, I see no problem with it - it worked, right? :)

Should I wait for the dose of meds? I've done the two 33% WC's and plan on another tomorrow.

edit: The one that is most impacted by the affliction is out swimming about, no longer hiding in the corner. I take this as a good sign, I am going to hold off on the meds and keep with the aggressive water changes. :D

Edited by herpetology!

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a full treatment of triple sulfa and it cured all the visible symptoms. I put carbon back in a few days later and now the cichlids are scratching on the rocks and one of the bichirs is blotchy again. I've dropped $60 total on meds and they worked, but now it's back. What the hell is this crap? It responds to anti bacterials so logically that is what it is, but it comes back when treatment is done?

It was even longer than a normal treatment. I started with 2 doses of Erythromycin and then did four of triple sulfa, all with carbon removed and doing the water changes as needed.

Any suggestions? They are still active and eating like crazy, Is it possible that it's a nitrate issue?