Assassin Snails Eating Healthy Shrimp?

Jmock

Believe it or not, I HAVE seen them go after healthy shrimp.

I used to keep a tank at work on my desk and had 20+ healthy cherry shrimp in there and 3 assassin snails. I have videos and pictures of them getting a hold of the shrimps and going to town. Interesting watch but unsettling at the same time. The shrimp were grazing and the snail literally just came and latched on, once attached it was game over. The shrimp probably never deemed them as a threat and that's how the snail got so close as to latch on.

Give it a whirl, if you start to lose some you know what's happening. If they are expensive shrimp I guess it's your call.

I could have also had healthy but retarded shrimp too so there's that. ;)

There are dozens of threads in various shrimp-keeping forums on this subject. The opinion seems that the assassin snails will occasionally predate shrimp when there is not sufficient available of their typical food source, but that the behaviour is uncommon, and I have yet to see any claim that any hobbyist has suffered a noticeable drop in shrimp population from such activity.